Bentley University, initially known as Bentley School of Accounting and Finance, was founded by Harry C. Bentley (a pioneering business educator) in 1917. The School’s first batch of 18 students – all men – graduated in 1920; and the School officially became coeducational in 1942. In 1948 Bentley was incorporated as a non-profit institute, and in 1961, it was officially authorised to grant a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting, which also led to a name change of Bentley College of Accounting and Finance that same year.
In 1966 the College was accredited by NEASC (New England Association of Schools and Colleges). In 1971, the College was given the authority to grant Bachelor of Science and Arts degrees in a variety of disciplines and once again renamed, Bentley College. Two years later it established its Graduate School. Following this, in 1976, Bentley introduced the Center for Business Ethics which at the time were amongst a few in the country. Another accreditation came in 1989 by AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business).
Progressing gradually, the College introduced a Service-learning program in 1991; and a Trading Room, in 1995, which was the first of several high-tech facilities. A decade later, the College was authorised to grant PhDs in Business and in Accountancy. The College was granted university status in 2008 and hence renamed, Bentley University. Bentley’s recent developments include establishing a Center for Women and Business in 2011 and launching innovative MBA programs in 2012.
- Minimum incoming TOEFL iBT 90
- Minimum incoming IELTS 7.00