Masters in Religious EducationCreate Account
Master Degree Programs in Religious Education
Master’s programs are graduate level courses of study aimed designed with the goal of giving students the professional tools needed to succeed in the job market. Students should complete a Bachelor’s degree in a subject similar to their Master’s focus, but this is not always a requirement. Usually, students take one to two years of full time study to complete these programs depending on the curricula.
What Is a Master’s Program in Religious Education?
A Master’s program in Religious Education focuses on giving students the tools to think critically and teach others about religion. Students can choose to specialise and that will affect the progression and requirements of their education. However, examples of common courses includes:
- Hebrew: For students focusing on Christianity or Judaism, learning Hebrew is important for understanding primary religious sources and texts. Students may be expected to complete a high level of this or another language.
- Readings in Judaism: In courses like these, students will closely examine important documents in the religion and culture of Judaism. From ancient guidelines to modern schools of thought, students gain insight into Judaism.
- East Asian Religions: Students are exposed to eastern religions like Buddhism and Confucianism. They learn how East Asian religions evolved into present day forms due to internal and external influences.
- Religion Within African American Culture: Coursework will highlight the role religion plays in African American culture. To gain context, students may study native African religions, Islam, Christianity and Judaism.
- Religious Theories: Why do humans need religion? How are religions structurally similar or different? What qualifies as a religion or a cult? Students will study religious theoretical topics in depth.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Religious Education?
Following the completion of a Master’s degree, students enjoy a range of benefits like a higher starting salary. They are prepared for the rigors of Doctorate level study if they wish to pursue more advanced education. They also that competitive skills and knowledge, which means that have an expanded job pool.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Religious Education?
After completing their Master’s, many students will move on to similar programs at the Doctorate level, but others will choose to dive directly into the job market. Common job titles include:
- Post Secondary Educator: In colleges and universities, graduates teach others about the concepts and pillars of religious studies and topics. They may need to acquire a teaching licences as well.
- Journalist/Writer: With their specialised knowledge, graduates are prepared to offer deep insights into regions rife with religious tensions. They may also choose to help religious leaders write their guidance texts.
- Museum Curator: For those wishing to work slightly outside the typical religious sector, graduates can be great assets to museums and similar institutions steep in religious histories and exhibits.
Are you contemplating how to find Master degree programs in Religious Education that are right for you? When you vet potential programs, take a look at the curriculum and available specialisations. If they match up with your interests and career goals, you know you found the right program.
Lawrence, United States
- 244SchoolApply Rank
- USD 23,700Average Tuition
- 93%Acceptance Rate
The University of Kansas (KU) is a state-sponsored, public research institution located in Kansas, United States. KU is spread across five campuses and through its 14 colleges, the university offers a wide range of master's degree courses....
Irving, United States
- 323SchoolApply Rank
- USD 33,800Average Tuition
- 80%Acceptance Rate
The University of Dallas (UD) is a private Catholic university located in Irving, Texas, U.S.A. The school offers master’s programs in a wide range of subject areas through its dedicated faculties....
- 384SchoolApply Rank
- USD 19,323Average Tuition
- 13%Acceptance Rate
University College Cork, established in 1849, is a research-led University located in Cork, Ireland. The University offers a number of master's degree programs in disciplines such as Law, Music, Occupational Health and Linguistics. ...
Ashland, United States
- 451SchoolApply Rank
- USD 30,370Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Ashland University (AU) is a private, American, non-profit university founded in 1878 and located in Ashland, Ohio. Through its faculties, AU offers Bachelors Degree programs in a wide variety of disciplines....
Miami, United States
- 484SchoolApply Rank
- USD 23,600Average Tuition
- 50%Acceptance Rate
Florida International University (FIU) is Miami's first and only public research university. Located in South Florida, USA. FIU offers a wide range of master's degree programs....
Abilene, United States
- 622SchoolApply Rank
- USD 20,500Average Tuition
- 61%Acceptance Rate
Abilene Christian University (ACU) is a private university affiliated with the Churches of Christ. The university is located in Abilene, Texas, United States and offers a range of master’s degree courses. ...
- 709SchoolApply Rank
- USD 8,237Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The University of Regina (U of R) has campuses in Regina and Saskatoon in Saskatchewan, Canada. Home to 10 faculties, U of R offers masters degrees in a wide range of programs. ...
Chichester, United Kingdom
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 11,700Average Tuition
- 70%Acceptance Rate
In terms of learning and teaching our approach is distinctive when compared to that adopted by many universities. To us students are not just a ‘face in the crowd’. One way in which this is reflected is through focusing on relatively small group learning. The Business School builds upon the strong reputation that we have earned for delivering high-quality courses. The Business School's programmes are based at the Bognor Regis Campus, which offers state of the art provision in a comfortable and attractive location....
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 11,427Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The University of Lethbridge is a comprehensive academic and research institute with two campuses in Lethbridge and Calgary in Canada. The University offers a number of master's degree programs through its seven faculties and schools of Arts & Science, Education, Fine Arts, Health Sciences, Graduate Studies, Liberal Education and the Dhillon School of Business....