Masters in ReligionCreate Account
Master Degree Programs in Religion
A Master’s program generally lasts between one and two years depending on the requirements of the academic curriculum. Students pursuing this degree have already completed an undergraduate program and wish to sharpen their professional skill sets. Most Master’s programs prefer the undergraduate degree subject be the same or comparable to the Master’s focus.
What Is a Master’s Program in Religion?
A Master’s program in Religion can focus on historical, theoretical and cultural perspectives. Students are free to study past religions and religious events or they may closely study current dilemmas and issues within the religious sector. Some programs will require students to learn a language so as to study original religious texts in-depth. Many Master’s programs will offer students the chance to specialise in areas like:
- Medieval and Modern Christianity: Students take a holistic look at Christianity and focus on its cultural influence from medieval times onward. For context, courses may venture further back in Christianity’s history.
- African American Religion: Students closely examine the role of religion and its evolution within the African Diaspora. For great understanding, students may study native African religions and Western religious beliefs.
- Islamic History and Thought: The course examines Islamic history from its beginning to its current cultural relevance. Students study the cultural contexts that help Islamic doctrines evolve into their current expression.
- Judaism: Depending on the scope of the course, students may study the historical origins of Judaism, current practices in Judaism and/or modern Judaism ethical issues.
- Asian Religions: Students may choose to further specialise through studying a specific region. For example, students may focus on eastern Asian schools of though like Buddhism and Confucianism.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Religion?
After completing their Master’s in Religion, graduates enter the job market with competitive credentials and highly developed professional knowledge. Employers are frequently willing to offer higher starting salaries and career salaries because of the Master’s degree. Graduates also generally qualify for a greater range of positions with their Master’s credential. Additionally, when looking for employment, students can tap their network of professors, peers, mentors and tutors.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Religion?
Graduates of this program may transition into Doctorate programs in the field of religion. Others will move directly into the job market in a variety of entrance level positions. Many graduates will find employment with these titles:
- Clergy: These professionals spread a specific religious doctrine and serve to guide congregation members in spiritual maters. They may perform or guide ceremonies and rituals like weddings, bar mitzvahs and funerals.
- Educators: Some colleges and universities are happy to accept professors with Master’s credentials. Other graduates will teach religious studies at the secondary level and frequently at private and/or religious-based educational facilities.
- Director of Religious Activities: These professionals frequently work in religious schools or institutions. They develop educational programs and fellowship activities for their religious facility.
Do Master degree programs in Religion give you a little jolt of excitement when you think of them? That’s a sign it’s the right academic path for you, so start looking for the right program immediately.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
- 69SchoolApply Rank
- USD 16,962Average Tuition
- 70%Acceptance Rate
The University of Birmingham is located in the heart of England with campuses in the Edgbaston and Selly Oak areas of the city of Birmingham. Birmingham University offers over 350 different courses in its undergraduate program; 400 postgraduate taught courses; 140 research courses and 450 PhD opportunities....
Dublin 2, Ireland
- 113SchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,946Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The Trinity College Dublin (TCD) is located in Dublin, Ireland. Situated in the multicultural European Capital, TCD offers undergraduate courses in a wide range of disciplines that come under the faculties of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Engineering, Mathematics and Science; and Health Sciences. ...
Lincoln, United Kingdom
- 147SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,889Average Tuition
- 83%Acceptance Rate
Bishop Grosseteste University’s (BGU) single-site campus is located in the historic city of Lincoln, United Kingdom. BGU offers a range of master’s degree programs across its academic schools....
York, United Kingdom
- 153SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,170Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
York St John University (York St John) is a public university located along Lord Mayor's Walk in York, England, UK. York St John offers a wide range of master's degree programs across its nine academic schools including: Art, Design and Computer Science; Education; Health Sciences; Humanities, Religion and Philosophy; and Sport....
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
- 158SchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,836Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The University of Wolverhampton offers more than 500 courses through 18 schools and institutes. Located Wolverhampton, England, the university offers bachelor's and master's degree programs. Some of the schools and institutes available include the School of Humanities, School of Biology, Chemistry and Forensic Science, and the Institute of Sport....
Waco, United States
- 457SchoolApply Rank
- USD 56,576Average Tuition
- 55%Acceptance Rate
Baylor University, provides a vibrant campus community for more than 15,000 students by blending interdisciplinary research with an international reputation for educational excellence and a faculty commitment to teaching and scholarship...
Bethlehem, United States
- 528SchoolApply Rank
- USD 0Average Tuition
- 80%Acceptance Rate
Moravian College is an American Private college located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The college was founded in 1742 and offers a range of master's deree programs...
Los Angeles, United States
- 599SchoolApply Rank
- USD 11,200Average Tuition
- 62%Acceptance Rate
Mount St. Mary's University is a Catholic higher education institution for women with two campuses in Los Angeles. It offers bachelor's and master's degree programs related to liberal arts concentrations. Mount St. Mary's University is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges....
Tulsa, United States
- 611SchoolApply Rank
- USD 12,500Average Tuition
- 93%Acceptance Rate
Oral Roberts University (ORU) is a private institution located in Oklahoma, USA. ORU offers 12 master's degree programs through three academic colleges namely, College of Business; College of Education; and College of Theology and Ministry....
Wilkes-Barre, United States
- 621SchoolApply Rank
- USD 10,560Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
King's College is a Catholic, liberal arts college located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The college offers bachelor's and master's degree programs through the Arts and Sciences College and the William G. McGowan School of Business....