Masters in HistoryCreate Account
Master Degree Programs in History
A Master’s program takes between 12 and 24 months to complete depending on several factors like institution and country of study. These degrees prepare students with advanced knowledge in a particular academic subject. Students generally pursue these degrees after completing a Bachelor’s degree to improve their professional skills.
What Is a Master’s Program in History?
A Master’s in History program can be a broad survey, but generally, students will pick a specialisation to focus their study. For broad survey programs, students are likely to study historical events and periods related to their location. As an example, a course at the University of Cambridge covers British History in great detail. Common themes across Master’s in History programs include:
- Extensive Regional History: Students will study how the national and regional culture came to be. They learn the motivations behind major and minor political events to deepen their understanding of regional contexts.
- Political Regimes: Students are likely to study the rise and fall of various political regimes throughout regional history. They learn how political actions framed modern societies.
- Research Methods: Within history related academia, students learn how to research historical concepts, figures and movements. They gain exposure to professional resources.
- Local Ancient Civilizations: Studying ancient times is a standard part of many history curriculums. Students will study the ancient civilizations that are most relevant to the context of their historical program.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in History?
A Master’s degree in History solidifies students’ knowledge of historical contexts and prepares them for advanced analytical thinking. They enter the job market with these benefits:
- Increased Salary: An advanced degree helps students establish their capabilities and usually means higher starting pay for graduates.
- Professional Skill Sets: Graduates enter the market with a working ability to plan and execute advanced research with professional tools.
- Expanded Job Pool: With this degree, students can parley their experience into many different job posts, giving them a broad range of job options.
- Prepare for Doctorate Programs: Doctorate programs generally require a compatible Master’s. Plus, students can ramp up their academic skills in preparation.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in History?
The career path of graduates will depend largely on their specialisations and interests. Someone who studies ancient Rome might be better suited for archaeological digs than a World War II specialist. Regardless of their specialisation, many graduates find employment as:
- Heritage Manager: These professionals maintain heritage sites like museums, monuments, historic buildings and similar properties.
- Museum Curator: In this capacity, graduates acquire, maintain and display collections of artefacts or art for their employer.
- Archivist: These professionals get to be creative problem solvers as they make historical information more accessible. They serve to gather and maintain historical libraries.
- Educator: Graduates are eligible to teach history at the secondary level with an added teaching certification.
Are you ready to start looking for Master degree programs in History? When you’re vetting schools, be sure to take a look at the curricula and available specialisations. Choose the program that matches your niche interests and prepares your for your ideal career.
Southampton, United Kingdom
- 73SchoolApply Rank
- USD 25,533Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
University of Southampton (Southampton) is a public institution located along the University Road in Southampton, United Kingdom. Southampton offers a wide range of master's degree programs across its five academic faculties namely: Arts and Humanities; Engineering and Physical Sciences; Environmental and Life Sciences; Medicine; and Social Sciences....
Irvine, United States
- 82SchoolApply Rank
- USD 28,000Average Tuition
- 30%Acceptance Rate
The University of California - Irvine is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities with a campus in Irvine; a suburban area in California, U.S.A. Through its faculties, the university offers over master’s degree programs....
Buckingham, United Kingdom
- 93SchoolApply Rank
- USD 19,512Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The University of Buckingham (UB) is one of UK’S oldest private universities located in the city of Buckingham, England. Through its 14 academic schools, the university offers master’s programs in a wide variety of disciplines....
Dublin 2, Ireland
- 118SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,283Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The Trinity College Dublin (TCD) is located in Dublin, Ireland. Situated in the multicultural European Capital, TCD offers undergraduate courses in a wide range of disciplines that come under the faculties of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Engineering, Mathematics and Science; and Health Sciences. ...
Chester, United Kingdom
- 125SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,404Average Tuition
- 65%Acceptance Rate
The University of Chester is one of the oldest universities in the UK. Founded in 1839, it is a public university situated in Chester, England. The University has dedicated faculties, through which it delivers master’s degree programs to local and international students. ...
Tempe, United States
- 136SchoolApply Rank
- USD 40,463Average Tuition
- 84%Acceptance Rate
The Arizona State University is the largest public university by enrollment in the U.S. ASU comprises 16 colleges and schools that offer more personalized experiences for students, while offering opportunities to collaborate across disciplines and campuses....
Salt Lake City, United States
- 185SchoolApply Rank
- USD 21,296Average Tuition
- 81.7%Acceptance Rate
University of Utah (the U) is a research-focused university located in Utah, United States, with it’s Asia campus located in South Korea. The U offers a wide range of master’s degree programs across nearly a 100 academic departments. These departments include Architecture, Biochemistry, Computing, Environmental Engineering, and Philosophy....
Dundee, United Kingdom
- 189SchoolApply Rank
- USD 23,810Average Tuition
- 80%Acceptance Rate
The University of Dundee (DU) is a public research university located in the city of Dundee, Scotland. The University has dedicated faculties through which it delivers master's degree programs to both local and international students ...
Boston, United States
- 215SchoolApply Rank
- USD 62,800Average Tuition
- 32%Acceptance Rate
Northeastern University located in Boston, Massachusetts, offers 150 undergraduate majors of study and 125 graduate areas of study through its nine colleges and schools of Arts, Media & Design; Business, Computer & Information Science; Engineering; Health Sciences; Law; Professional Studies; Science; and Social Sciences & Humanities; as well as select advanced degrees at graduate campuses in Charlotte, North Carolina, Seattle, Silicon Valley, and Toronto....
Tallahassee, United States
- 217SchoolApply Rank
- USD 20,043Average Tuition
- 55%Acceptance Rate
Florida State University, established in 1851, is a research-intensive University located on the oldest continuous site of higher education in the state of Florida in its capital city of Tallahassee, USA. The University offers a number of master's degree programs from its various Colleges including Fine Arts, Business, Engineering and Arts & Sciences....