Master’s in Veterinary Science in the United StatesCreate Account
Top Master’s in Veterinary Science in the United States
Master’s degrees are often the first postgraduate degree that students choose to seek after finishing undergraduate studies. While this is not a requirement for all careers, it does offer the opportunity to further hone knowledge and skills of previous studies. Many Master’s programs build off of related Bachelor’s programs. For students who wish to enter any part of the medical field, including working with animals, a postgraduate education is practically a requirement to finding a job. If you enjoy science, medicine, and working with animals, you might choose pursue a Master’s in Veterinary Science in the United States. According to US World News and Report, some of the top Master’s programs for this degree in the US are available at
- Cornell University
- University of California-Berkeley
- Harvard University
- University of Florida
What Is a Master’s in Veterinary Science?
Veterinary science tends to focus on biomedical applications of the treatment of animals. Much like studying medicine for humans, there are many different areas of focus in this discipline. This degree usually culminates in a Master’s of Science, which focuses on practical assessment rather than requiring students to complete a thesis or project. Large animal medicine, small animal medicine, population health, and infectious diseases are examples of areas of study covered in veterinary science. Courses can cover subject matter such as
Before students may enter a Master’s program in veterinary science, they must first earn a relevant Bachelor’s degree. Most postgraduate programs in the US also require applicants to sit a graduate school entrance examination such as the GRE. The MCAT is a common exam for getting into medical school. International students who choose to pursue an advanced degree in the US also need to have a high level of English language proficiency. You will want to check with your university to see which English language proficiency examination scores they accept.
It is common for lab work and field work to be a large part of this type of degree. While some individual courses may be available online, students should plan on attending campus courses to complete the degree.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Veterinary Science?
There are more reasons to earn your Master’s degree than just for your personal satisfaction. A Master’s is useful in a variety of careers, even for positions that may seem different from your area of focus. Some benefits Master’s degree holders enjoy include
- Higher earning potential. Graduates who have a Master’s degree usually earn more over their lifetime than those without.
- Networking. University faculty are usually experts in their field. US universities also have ties to other universities around the world. By attending seminars and working with professors, students can build up an intricate professional network to benefit them in their careers.
- Better Jobs. Students who spend the time earning a higher degree may qualify for better jobs after graduation than if they pursue work after undergraduate studies.
- Job placement services. Many universities around the US have extensive services specifically to help students. This includes assisting in finding internships to accumulate practical and work experience. Some institutions also help students to find jobs before or after graduation.
- Access to resources. The best universities tend to have access to the best resources. This includes the latest technology. While such equipment might be expensive for people in general, students can usually enjoy access to these resources at little to no cost.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Veterinary Science?
A Master’s in Veterinary Science is a stepping stone toward becoming a veterinarian. If you wish to become a fully certified and licenced veterinarian, you will need to pursue a doctorate after your Master’s. However, if you wish to stop with your Master’s degree, there are a few different jobs you might qualify for. You could become a veterinary technician or technologist. These individuals assist veterinarians with diagnostic imaging, treatment, and other aspects of animal care. You may also qualify to work as an assistant in zoos depending on your area of focus. Some jobs might require additional certification, so be sure to research these requirements beforehand. It will help you to select an adequate program.
Earning a Master’s in Veterinary Science in the US allows you to work up close and personal with animal all over the country. Start looking for your ideal program right away.
Baton Rouge, United States
- 383SchoolApply Rank
- USD 29,600Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Louisiana State University (LSU) is a flagship public university located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA, and through its many academic schools and colleges, the university offers a wide range of programs to master’s degree-seeking students....
Auburn, United States
- 511SchoolApply Rank
- USD 30,500Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Auburn University is named after its host city, Auburn in Eastern Alabama, USA. The university has 11 academic schools and colleges through which it offers thesis and non-thesis postgraduate (master's degree) programs. Auburn University’s master programs are offered in a wide range of disciplines including Communication, English, Agricultural Economics, Architecture, Management, Physical Education, Aerospace Engineering, Arts, Nursing, and Mathematics....