Masters in Health Administration
Master Degree Programs in Health Administration
A Master’s program typically takes full time students between one and two years to complete. Prior to program acceptance, students are generally required to earn a Bachelor’s degree in a similar field. However, this is not always this case depending on the academic subject in question.
What Is a Master’s Program in Health Administration?
A Master’s program in Health Administration focuses on teaching students about the administrative needs of health organizations like clinics, hospitals and private practices. The program contains many elements including advertising, finance and business development. At every step of the way, students learn techniques specifically designed for effective management of health-related service centres.
Curricula vary, but Master’s students in this program can expect to see subject matter similar to:
- Health Law: The course highlights the legal regulations of the health industry. They learn the codes and rules governing the operation of health care facilities, malpractices situations, confidentiality and similar topics.
- Human Resources: Students learn how to effectively manage employees from payroll to benefits. They begin to understand what kind of systems a company must build to manage a staff well.
- Organizational Development: How does a company successfully expand its staff? How does a private practice know when to establish a new location? This course helps students understand the answers to these questions.
- Financial Management: In this class, students gain an understanding of financial principles and may learn how to complete accounting documents like balance sheets and cash flow analysis.
- Health Care Marketing: Marketing healthcare services navigates a different market and a separate set of regulations. Students learn how to be effective in this niche to keep their future clients afloat.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Health Administration?
With this degree, students understand how to run healthcare facilities and they enter the job market with these benefits:
- Prepare for Doctorate Programs: With this degree, students are prepared to seek placement with a Doctorate program in a similar discipline. Students have the research and analytical skills needed to do well at the next academic level.
- Specialized Knowledge: Students understand the broad range of topics needed to succeed in the health administration field. From finances to employee management, they are ready to succeed.
- Expand Professional Network: When graduates enter the field, they can call upon their peers, professors, mentors and tutors as the first connection in their professional network.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Health Administration?
For an entry-level position, many students might gravitate towards managing smaller healthcare centres as they gain professional footing. However, if graduates feel comfortable and have appropriate experience, they can gain employment at larger healthcare facilities like hospitals. As a healthcare administrator, graduates oversee a medical facility like physicians’ offices, hospitals and outpatient centres. Small organizations have administrators supervise budgets, staff and healthcare planning.
Are you prepared to start your career as a health administration professional? It all starts with a search of Master degree programs in Health Administration and of course, your application! Don’t hesitate to get started on your search for a better career.