Top Schools for Master’s in Cognitive Science in the USCreate Account
Master’s in Cognitive Science in the United States
Are you interested in the human brain? Have you ever wanted to study in the US? If you answered yes to both questions, you should consider earning a Master’s in Cognitive Science in the United States. In most programmes, you will need a bachelor’s degree in order to gain entry. Cognitive science will help you develop a biological and psychological view of the brain. You will learn how it develops, and how humans use it to make daily decisions. In most programmes, students will perform research on various topics, and examine a wide array of case studies. Most students can earn a Master’s in Cognitive Science in one and a half to two years.
What is a Master’s in Cognitive Science?
The brain is a vast organ, and a cognitive graduate programme will help you develop a comprehensive view of it. Topics in psychology, neurology and anthropology will be taught extensively. You will also attempt to understand what motivates human behaviour, and how the environment influences our thoughts. Brain imaging technologies are also employed in most graduate programmes, so you must feel comfortable working with electronic devices. During your cognitive science programme, you may do the following:
- Take courses in behavioural psychology, advanced neuroscience, philosophy, evolutionary neuroscience and cognitive psychology.
- Perform research and participate in laboratory work.
- Discuss controversial issues in the field.
- Attend lectures and seminars taught by leading cognitive professionals.
In the US, many graduate students are required to write a dissertation or thesis on a topic prior to graduation. The topic is usually chosen by the student, and it can sometimes take several years to compile enough information.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Cognitive Science in the United States?
After earning a Master’s in Cognitive Science, you will encounter a variety of personal and professional benefits. The US offers some of the best graduate programmes in the world, so you will definitely get a top-tier education. If you elect to earn a graduate degree in the US, you may experience the following benefits and advantages:
- The US is home to some of the world’s leading cognitive science and psychology programmes. You can apply to leading cognitive science programmes at Johns Hopkins, Stanford and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. All of these schools have high-ranking neuroscience programmes.
- In general, the more education you have, the more money you will earn during your lifetime. Individuals with master’s degrees earn significantly more money than individuals who do not have a formal education.
- During a graduate programme, you may have the opportunity to forge professional connections and networks. This can be extremely helpful when it is time to find a job or apply to another academic programme.
- Individuals who earn master’s degrees will usually have more opportunities for professional advancement than others. If you already work in this field, earning a master’s can help you finally get a promotion.
These benefits are fairly common, but they are influenced by many different factors. If you move to an area that does not have a great need for cognitive scientists, you may not reap many benefits.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Cognitive Science?
After you earn a degree in cognitive science, you will have a wealth of career paths to consider. Some students choose to work as neuroscientists. These individuals research the biological basis of human behaviour and study the structure and function of the brain extensively. They use complex technologies and imagining devices to gain an understanding, and they frequently perform experiments. Neuroscientists are employed by the following institutions and organisations:
- Hospitals and medical establishments.
- Universities and colleges.
- Private research facilities.
As neuroscientists become more and more prominent, they may publish academic literature and write textbooks. If you wish to teach neuroscience at a collegiate level, you may need to earn a doctorate first.
Other cognitive science students choose to become psychologists or psychiatrists. These professions usually require students to earn additional degrees first, but they can be lucrative. They treat patients suffering from a variety of mental illnesses and disorders. Other common career choices include:
- Linguistics expert
If you are ready to earn this particular degree, find a programme in the US that meets your expectations and apply now.
Pittsburgh, United States
- 209SchoolApply Rank
- USD 25,000Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Duquesne University is one of the largest and most comprehensive private Catholic universities located in the urban area of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. Duquesne offers a wide variety of master's degree programs....
Highland Heights, United States
- 647SchoolApply Rank
- USD 16,600Average Tuition
- 90%Acceptance Rate
Northern Kentucky University (NKU) is an American Public University located in Highland Heights, Ohio, U.S.A. Through its dedicated faculties, The school offers master’s degree programs in a wide variety of disciplines. ...