Master’s in Medical Technology in CanadaCreate Account
A Master’s in Medical Technology in Canada requires individuals to learn how to perform medical analysis on a variety of bodily tissues and fluids. Students will perform tests using various types of laboratory equipment, and analyse the results. A Canadian graduate programme usually requires students to earn a bachelor’s degree prior to entry. After finishing this programme, students can either enter the workforce or pursue doctoral studies.
What is a Master’s in Medical Technology?
In a Master’s in Medical Technology programme, students learn a plethora of clinical investigation and analysis techniques. They work closely with bodily fluids such as blood, urine, and spinal fluid, as well as skin cells and various types of bacteria. For this reason, they use devices and tools such as microscopes and thermometers extensively. Other activities that medical technology students usually engage are listed below.
- Write essays, dissertations and other papers.
- Perform clinical research and work with medical technology professionals.
- Take courses in hematology, biochemistry, medical ethics and diagnostic procedures.
- Attend lectures and discussions given by leading medical technologists and scientists.
The exact requirements of your programme may vary from the ones listed above, so you should contact your school of choice for more information.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Medical Technology in Canada?
The vast majority of students wonder about the benefits of earning a degree. Degrees can be expensive and time-consuming, so this is a natural question. If you are interested in entering a graduate medical technology programme, you may encounter the following benefits.
- Canada is a wonderful country to study in. It is a very diverse country with a healthy economy and job market. Working in a country that has a healthy economy will allow you to find jobs with greater ease, especially if you work in the medical field.
- In almost every country on earth, the more education you have, the more money you will earn during your lifetime. This can be helpful if you are attempting to establish a better financial future for yourself.
- Canada is home to many of the world’s leading learning institutions. This means that you will have access to an excellent education.
- During your programme, you may have the opportunity to build a professional network with professors and others. This may help you find jobs or gain entry into other academic programmes later on.
The benefits that you reap will depend on the programme you enroll in and the actions you choose to take. In general, urban areas tend to pay higher salaries and have a larger number of medical technology jobs available. If you choose to leave Canada after earning a degree, you may encounter different benefits than the ones listed above.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Medical Technology?
As you may have expected, the vast majority of students with this degree choose to work as medical technologists. They work at hospitals, private practices, research companies and other medical establishments around the world. They are responsible for performing various laboratory tests such as:
- Diabetes and cancer screening.
- Prenatal blood tests.
- HIV/AIDS tests.
- Tests for bacterial and viral infections.
These individuals usually work alongside physicians, nurses and pharmacists, and they sometimes come in close contact with patients. They operate complex, expensive medical equipment and are usually responsible for cleaning and maintaining it. These individuals have an important job, and the results of the tests they perform will influence the treatment that a patient undergoes.
A significant portion of the job involves testing and collecting bodily fluids and tissue samples. Those who work in blood banks are often responsible for manually counting blood cells and bone marrow. After interpreting results, medical technologists may submit them to pathologists for further review. If you elect to work in a private clinical environment, you may find yourself assisting scientists and other researchers.
Some medical technologists elect to educate others. If you choose to stop at a master’s, you will probably find employment at a technical or vocational school. If you elect to earn a postgraduate degree, you will be able to teach at university level. You will teach students the basic concepts of the field, and ensure that they can actively apply their knowledge. Other career paths may include:
- Medical scientists
In many programmes, you can earn a Master’s in Medical Technology in one and a half to two years. Find a Canadian programme that meets your standards, and apply now.