Master’s in Anaesthetics CanadaCreate Account
Master’s in Anaesthetics in Canada
A Master’s in Anaesthetics in Canada is a postgraduate degree awarded to students who graduated from an accredited university. This degree doesn’t qualify graduates to be a doctor, but they will work closely with anaesthesiologists. Generally, students will need a Bachelor’s degree in a related medical or science related field to qualify for this type of program.
What Is a Master’s Program in Anaesthetics?
A Master’s program in anaesthetics can take between one and three years depending on the program. Generally, a longer program is necessary due to the extensive clinical requirements of this academic niche. Students can expect to spend a majority of their time training in real-world settings under the watchful eye of qualified professionals.
This academic program covers a wide range of subjects regarding the human anatomy and physiology. Students might not be fully-fledged anaesthesiologists at the end of their program, but they will be a critical part of the team. A typical curriculum might include:
- Anatomy: Students become familiar with the anatomical structure and terms related to the human body. Coursework will emphasize the functional significance of various anatomy components.
- Research Applications in Medicine: Professors introduce students to the methods and purpose of clinical research in the medical field. Students will begin to understand how these studies influence the medical field and professional opinion.
- Anaesthesia and Coexisting Disease: Students begin applying their knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pharmacology to understand how anaesthesia affects pre-existing conditions.
- Clinical Rotations: Students will rotate in and out of various medical settings to gain real work experience of anaesthesia. They will work with anaesthesiologists and anaesthesiologist assistants to learn more about the craft.
- Pharmacology: Students study a range of principles including receptor theory, drug action, pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics and drug dose calculations. They learn to support patients and provide anaesthesia during the perioperative period.
- Monitoring and Instrumentation: Students learn what to look for when monitoring patients as well as the instrumentation used to monitor these signs. They learn to spot trouble early and ensure the best experience for the patient.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Anaesthetics?
Studying anaesthetics at the Master’s degree level will give students advanced knowledge they need to be competitive in the professional world. However, that isn’t the only benefit to the degree:
- Increased Salary: It’s not uncommon for students to have high starting salaries in this field given the advanced knowledge and extensive clinical training. That also means higher life long salaries as well.
- Expand Job Pool: There is always a need for more medical professionals, and after completing this degree, you’ll qualify for plenty of excellent medical jobs. You may also qualify for high-level positions outside of your field.
- Learning Support System: A Master’s in Anaesthetics is tough, but with a team of professors, mentors and classmates to lean on, you’ll make it in fine form.
- Prepare for Doctorate Programs: Should students wish to move on to a higher-level medical program, they will have all the academic and professional skills they need to succeed.
- Build Professional Network: Especially with rotations being part of the standard curriculum, students have many opportunities to work with mentors and make a great impression. This is the start of a professional network that can result in employment at graduation.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Master’s in Anaesthetics?
With a Master’s in Anaesthetics alone, students are qualified to be Anaesthetics Assistants, provided they pass the required certification exam. Anaesthetics Assistants work closely with the Anaesthesiologist to provide personalized anaesthetic strategy for each patient. Anaesthetics Assistants aren’t authorized to do any medical work outside the anaesthetics niche unless they have additional credentials. They also should not practice anaesthetics without the presence of a full-fledged anaesthesiologist.
Another common position for graduates is a Nurse Anaesthetics position. However, graduates must have their Master’s in Nursing as well as their Master’s in Anaesthetics. Some programs may offer a dual course. Additionally, the appropriate regulating bodies must accredit these professionals.
Are you ready to jumpstart your career in the medical field? Whether this is your first postgraduate degree or just one of many, it’s time to start advancing your career even further. Begin searching for schools now to find programs that suit your interests and career goals. Remember, keep looking until you find a program that truly excites you.
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 12,790Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Fanshawe College is considered as flagship in education and learning, not just in Canada but also around the globe. To keep up with its reputation, the college offers its services educating and engaging its students in reaching potential in a wast array of fields....