Best Master’s in Construction Technology in CanadaCreate Account
Master’s in Construction Technology in Canada
A Master’s in Construction Technology is a postgraduate degree that provides advanced education and credentials to graduates. This degree is required for most managerial positions in the construction technology industry. Canada is home to multiple colleges that offer this type of program, and these schools exemplify the reasons why Canada is an ideal place for international students to pursue a degree.
What Is a Master’s in Construction Technology?
Coursework for a Master’s in Construction Technology takes students through every aspect of the construction of major construction projects. Graduates of this degree program have an understanding of everything from the planning phase of a project to post-completion maintenance. Construction technology focuses particularly on the technical details of construction and less on design than other construction-related fields. Curriculums typically include the following topics, among others:
- Surveying and mathematics.
- Construction safety practices.
- Building science and building materials.
- Mechanical systems and heating/ventilation/air conditioning technology.
- Electives in selected specialties.
- Research methods and a comprehensive research project.
- Environmental sustainability.
- Site logistics and infrastructure.
- Cost estimates and building economics.
Master’s programs typically take two or more years to complete. While not required for entry-level positions in the construction industry, a Master’s Degree is essential in most cases if you hope to work as a manager or supervisor of major projects.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Master’s in Construction Technology in Canada?
A Master’s in Construction Technology is an advantageous first step towards a fulfilling and enjoyable career. Graduates of this degree program enjoy many benefits, such as:
- Career in a growing industry with projected positive job growth.
- Potential to earn higher salaries than would be possible with only an undergraduate degree.
- Consideration for prestigious leadership roles in all specialties.
- Career that typically involves a combination of indoor office work and outdoor onsite work.
- Job opportunities all over the world.
- Variety of paths and specialties within the profession.
The benefits of getting this degree are numerous, but pursuing your studies at a school in Canada also adds some unique perks such as the following:
- Experience of living and studying in a modern, technologically advanced culture where new construction is constantly occurring.
- High educational standards.
- Rich history of engineering advancement in both academia and the public arena.
- Colleges with excellent faculty and abundant educational resources.
- Diverse culture that is very friendly and welcoming to international students
The British Columbia Institute of Technology – Business School and Fanshawe College – London are two renowned schools that offer this program in Canada.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect with a Master’s in Construction Technology?
Graduates holding a Master’s in Construction Technology are equipped to work in a wide variety of settings. Some common job titles include:
- Building developer
- General contractor
- Quality inspector
- Contract Manager
- Field coordinator
- Cost estimator
In addition to these roles, construction technologists often work for local government agencies such as the public works department or city manager’s office. Positions are also available in the research and teaching sectors. As the industry has continued to grow, many entrepreneurs have opened their own consulting or contracting firms. If you have the desire to run your own business, a Master’s in Construction Technology is a viable route to achieve that goal.
Job duties will vary by specific job title, but construction technologists actively working in the construction industry can expect to engage in the following tasks:
- Participate in and/or oversee the planning of new projects.
- Analyse data pertaining to the soundness and safety of the proposed project.
- Write proposals estimating cost, compliance with government regulations and risk analysis.
- Use design software to create virtual models of projects; analyse output in order to make necessary modifications.
- Oversee maintenance and repair of completed projects.
- Supervise the implementation of infrastructure – electrical systems, HVAC, plumbing, transportation and sewage systems.
- Train workers to ensure accuracy of final product.
- Plan and implement safety practices for construction sites.
Getting a Master’s in Construction Technology in Canada opens many doors of opportunity to graduates. The career options are plentiful, and the experience of studying in Canada is as excellent as anywhere else in the world. Start researching and consider taking the next step in your educational journey.
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 12,790Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Fanshawe College is considered as flagship in education and learning, not just in Canada but also around the globe. To keep up with its reputation, the college offers its services educating and engaging its students in reaching potential in a wast array of fields....