Master’s in EngineeringCreate Account
Master’s in Engineering
A Master’s in Engineering is a professional graduate program that prepares students for real world engineering projects. With programs available at universities all over the world, students can find a program that fits their academic and professional goals.
What is a Master’s Program in Engineering?
In general, the job of an engineer is to figure out solutions to issues utilising mathematics, science, and practical knowledge. A master’s program prepares graduates for jobs needing advanced technical knowledge and skills. There are many different engineering programs that students can choose to study. These programs include:
- City planning
- Manufacturing engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Mining engineering
- Petroleum engineering
- Quantity surveying
- Software engineering
- Systems engineering
- Aerospace engineering
- Chemical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Construction engineering
- Construction management
- Construction technology
- Electrical engineering
- Management engineering
- Physics engineering
- Technology engineering
- Industrial engineering
The curriculum of each program will vary depending on the field of focus. For example, the engineering management program at Duke University, provides engineering knowledge as well as a strong foundation in business. Classes include marketing, finance, management, business law, intellectual property law, negotiation, leadership, and communication. Other programs will require more advanced level science courses or technology and computer courses.
Some of the international universities have separate and distinct engineering schools. The following are just some of them as well as what they are known for:
- Columbia University: Known for the depth of its offerings and its cutting-edge research with corporate and academic institutions.
- National University of Singapore: Rigorous academic curriculum to prepare students to lead in high tech solutions.
- Purdue: Ranked sixth in the US for doctorate-granting engineering programs.
- Princeton: Integrates engineering, natural sciences, and the humanities so that graduates can better help society.
- Georgia Institute of Technology: Engineering school is ranked fourth in the US; industrial engineering and aerospace engineering programs are ranked number one and number two.
- University of California, Berkeley: Engineering program is ranked third in the world, after MIT and Stanford.
Some engineering programs have a research component along with classroom work. Many of the programs also offer internships with local and regional businesses, which allow students to gain practical experience before graduation.
What are the Benefits of Taking a Master’s in Engineering?
Pursuing an engineering degree is challenging, but it has many rewards. Those who earn their master’s degree discover that the advanced education offers even more benefits, which often make the extra effort worth it.
- Life Skills: No matter what field of engineering you study, the curriculum will prepare you with important skills that will benefit not only your professional life, but your personal one as well. Some of these include analytical, business, critical-thinking, math, writing, and problem-solving skills.
- Career Opportunities: Although some engineering positions only require a bachelor’s degree, there are some that require a master’s. Typically only entry-level positions are available for graduates who hold an undergraduate degree, so having an advanced degree such as a Master’s in Engineering will qualify you for higher positions. Because hiring managers recognise the knowledge that accompanies a graduate with a master’s degree, it can give job applicants a competitive edge when searching for a job.
- Higher Salaries: While holding a master’s degree does not guarantee you a higher wage in all occupations, engineering is one field in which a master’s degree often equals a higher pay grade according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Engineering specialties that tend to have higher median wages due to the attainment of a master’s degree are civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and engineering management.
- Preparation for Further Education: While many students will discontinue their education upon completion of a master’s degree, some will choose to continue on to earn their PhD. Completing a master’s program will prepare these students in the best way possible.
What Kind of Career can you Expect with a Master’s in Engineering?
Because the area of engineering is so vast, the career opportunities are also very diverse. Career options will often be based on the field of study, the school attended, and the interests of the students. Most graduates will choose to work somewhere in engineering, although other options include operations, research, and teaching.
Some of the job titles may include:
- Aerospace engineer
- Agricultural engineer
- Biomedical engineer
- Chemical engineer
- Civil engineer
- Computer hardware engineer
- Environmental engineer
- Health and safety engineer
- Marine engineer
- Nuclear engineer
Attending an engineering school can improve your chances of finding a career in companies or organisations that the school is affiliated with. Some of the alumni from popular schools have found engineering positions at:
- Georgia Tech Research Institution
- Eli Lilly and Company
- General Motor
- Columbia University
Careers can be found at large corporations, governments, non-profit organisations, environmental groups, and private companies. Earning a master’s degree will help you get closer to finding a job that matches your goals.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,166Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Wrexham Glyndwr University is located in Wrexham, Wales. It offers undergraduate degrees in 14 course areas that include Animal and Plant Biology, Complementary Medicine and Creative Media Technology. The university also offers postgraduate degrees, and research programs for PhD and MPhil. In addition to those undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, the university also has a two year fast track degree, that allows you to earn your degree in two years instead of three....
Cranfield, United Kingdom
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 27,243Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Cranfield University (Cranfield) is an exclusive postgraduate university in UK with its main campus located at Cranfield, Bedfordshire and another campus in Shrivenham, Oxfordshire. Cranfield offers a wide range of master's degree programs in a variety of disciplines including: Aerospace, Energy and Power, Environment and Agrifood, Defence and Security, and Transport Systems....