Bachelor in Mass Communication and JournalismCreate Account
Bachelor Degree Programmes in Mass Communication and Journalism
A Bachelor in Mass Communications is a programme that is completed by many media professionals. This interdisciplinary degree prepares individuals for a variety of careers in journalism and writing, communications, or media. Through completing this four-year programme, graduates are equipped with the necessary skills to be successful in an ever-evolving job market.
What is a Bachelor in Mass Communication and Journalism?
A Bachelor in Mass Communication and Journalism is a programme that combines journalism, writing and communications by focusing in on a few different topics:
- Fundamentals of mass communication
- Broadcast journalism
- News analysis
- Television news writing
- Newspaper writing
- Multimedia story coverage
- Ethical issues in public relations
- Graphic design
- And more
These and other courses prepare students to be able to find, analyse and properly report news for target audiences. Even with the changes in the media with the evolution of technology, these basic skills can assist in helping individuals navigate and adapt properly. Along with the coursework, some schools may incorporate an internship in the programme to allow students to gain real-life experience before fully entering the job market.
What Are the Benefits of Earning a Bachelor in Mass Communication and Journalism?
The inter-disciplinary aspects of this degree programme make it applicable to various professions. This helps to increase the number and variety of job opportunities for graduates. There are also certain general benefits of obtaining a Bachelor’s degree:
- Achievement - Completing a Bachelor’s takes a great deal of focus, hard work and determination, among other things. Therefore, those who do attain this degree tend to feel a great deal of personal achievement. This can be beneficial for future academic and professional pursuits.
- Distinction - Statistics show that individuals who obtain their Bachelor’s tend to earn twice as much as those with only a High School level education. This is because the advanced level of education that students receive on the Bachelor’s level equips them with specialised skills and knowledge that prepares them to fulfill specific, higher-paying positions.
- Future Advancement - While many students stop at the Bachelor level, there are those that desire to pursue graduate studies. In many cases, to achieve this goal students must obtain a Bachelor’s. Also, on the professional side there are a growing number of jobs that now require for applicants to at least have a Bachelor’s. With the increased number of applicants in the job pool today, having a Bachelor’s level education can help individuals to be able to compete.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor in Mass Communication and Journalism?
There are a number of jobs that individuals may obtain with a Bachelor in Mass Communication and Journalism. Some of the more common job titles include:
- News reporter
- Magazine writer
- Media researcher
- Public relations specialist
These jobs can be found in several different industries, though media and communication are the industries with the greatest amount of openings. Even still, graduates can search for jobs in a variety of areas:
- Newspapers and magazines
- Television networks
- Social media companies
- Production companies
- And more
Graduates may also find these positions in virtually every sector, including government, non-profits, corporations and small businesses. Along with pursuing traditional positions, many graduates choose to work for themselves and serve as contractors or freelancers. Some may even start their own firms.
If you are considering pursuing a job in writing, media or communications, think about how a Bachelor in Mass Communication and Journalism could benefit you.
Buckingham, United Kingdom
- 111SchoolApply Rank
- USD 19,703Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The University of Buckingham (UB) is one of UK’S oldest private universities located in the city of Buckingham, England. Through its 14 academic schools, the university offers bachelor’s programs in a wide range of disciplines....
Tempe, United States
- 160SchoolApply Rank
- USD 27,618Average Tuition
- 77%Acceptance Rate
The Arizona State University is the largest public university by enrollment in the U.S. ASU comprises 16 colleges and schools that offer more personalized experiences for students, while offering opportunities to collaborate across disciplines and campuses....
Normal, United States
- 227SchoolApply Rank
- USD 25,428Average Tuition
- 89%Acceptance Rate
Illinois State University is the first publicly-funded higher education institution in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois. It offers undergraduate majors and graduate degree programs in a wide variety of concentrations including applied science and technology, arts and sciences, business, education, fine arts, and nursing. Illinois State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission....
Pittsburgh, United States
- 246SchoolApply Rank
- USD 38,178Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
Duquesne University is a private non-profit university situated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. Through its nine schools, Duquesne offers a wide variety of Bachelor's degree programs....
Pullman, United States
- 281SchoolApply Rank
- USD 23,956Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Washington State University (WSU) is a public research university with its main campus in the rural town of Pullman, Washington, USA. WSU also has regional vanguards in a number of cities which are; Vancouver, Tri-cities, Spokane, Everett and its global online campus. WSU offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs....
Tampa, United States
- 285SchoolApply Rank
- USD 17,250Average Tuition
- 44%Acceptance Rate
The University of South Florida (USF) is a public research university located in Tampa, Florida, United States. The university offers a good number of bachelor’s degree programs through its academic schools....
Fort Collins, United States
- 293SchoolApply Rank
- USD 29,884Average Tuition
- 83%Acceptance Rate
Colorado State University (CSU) is a public research university located in Fort Collins, Colorado. Through its eight (8) academic schools, the university offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree program....
Carrollton, United States
- 316SchoolApply Rank
- USD 18,812Average Tuition
- 59%Acceptance Rate
University of West Georgia (UWG) is a public research institution, located in the city of Carrollton, West Georgia, United States. Through its dedicated colleges and faculties, the university offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree courses. ...
Burlington, United States
- 335SchoolApply Rank
- USD 40,176Average Tuition
- 67%Acceptance Rate
The University of Vermont (UVM) is a public research university located in the city of Burlington, Southwest Vermont, United States. UVM offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs. ...
Hempstead, United States
- 340SchoolApply Rank
- USD 44,640Average Tuition
- 64%Acceptance Rate
Hofstra University (Hofstra) is a dynamic, private higher learning institution located in Hempstead, New York, United States. Hofstra offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs across its 12 academic schools....