Bachelor of MedicineCreate Account
A Bachelor of Medicine is an undergraduate degree awarded to students who complete a medicine course at an accredited university. The course lays a foundation of knowledge related to health sciences, the human body and proper usage of medicine. Students will learn the early signs of diseases and how to manage medical emergencies.
What Is a Bachelor of Medicine?
A Bachelor of Medicine takes three to four years to complete depending on the institution. Studies focus heavily on the sciences to prepare students with knowledge of the body and its mechanisms. Students can expect to attend lectures and complete group work as in other degree programs. However, they will likely spend a significant amount of class time in laboratories. Dissections and lab experiments will be a fundamental element of a degree in medicine.
The exact requirements for the medicine degree will vary based on the specialisation the student chooses. Typical coursework might include:
- Anatomy and Physiology: Students will begin learning about the complex processes and systems of the human body. They will learn the location of various bones and organs as well as the functions of their related systems.
- Chemistry: The chemical make up of drugs is crucial knowledge to those who intend to treat patients. Students will learn basic to intermediate chemistry to from a foundational knowledge.
- Biology: This scientific discipline is especially important for the study of medicine. The foundation of diagnosis medicine lies in the understanding of biology. Students learn how systems must work together and what happens when issues occur.
- Human Behavior: Students may study psychology and similar subjects to gain insight into the causes, development, and treatment of mental illness. Students may have the chance to study past experiments or create their own.
- Drug Mechanisms: Students use their combined knowledge of the human body and science to understand how drugs operate within the body. Students begin to learn how and why doctors prescribe medicine.
What Are the Benefits of Completing a Bachelor of Medicine?
After completing a Bachelor’s degree in this subject, graduates are prepared to enter the workforce with these advantages:
- Build a Professional Network: Students have the chance to make professional connections through their internships and classes. Professors, mentors, and peers will serve as their first professional contacts. A strong network can help students find employment and other opportunities later.
- Receive Valuable Guidance: Under the watchful eye of a support system of professors and guidance counselors, students have the chance to develop under the guidance of experts. Professional educators will ensure students are well prepared for the demands of the professional world.
- Increased Salary: Graduates will qualify for a grater range of positions relative to secondary school graduates. Additionally, these jobs are likely to offer better starting and career pay.
- Prepare for a Graduate Program: Undergraduate degrees lay the groundwork for advanced academic study. Many graduates choose to move on to advanced medical programs and become doctors.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor of Medicine?
After completing their degree, students have a wide choice of options for their career. They can choose to seek placement in an advanced degree program or employment in an unrelated field. However, those wishing to stay in the health sciences field can choose to find work as:
- Health Services Manager: In this position, graduates oversee the daily operations of a general practice or community health service. They can perform a number of services in health practices in human resource, project management, and clinical departments.
- International Aid/Development Worker: In developing countries or disaster situations, the professionals work to get basic care to those in need. They may educate others, provide disaster planning, work with local governments and oversee similar tasks.
- Science Writer: These writers focus specifically on the scientific world including recent studies, breakthroughs and technology. Because of the graduates’ medicinal knowledge, they may find employment focusing on the health sciences niche.
- Research Aid: Graduates can find employment in research settings either in clinics or academic institutions. They can perform important research functions like collecting data or helping to manage the study’s execution.
Start with your medicinal education today. Begin looking for your ideal university either domestically or abroad. Many renowned institutions offer excellent undergraduate medicine programs. From public to private institutions, you have an incredible amount of choice when it comes to your education.
North Manchester, United States
- 25SchoolApply Rank
- USD 31,500Average Tuition
- 62%Acceptance Rate
Manchester University (Manchester) is a private university with campuses located in North Manchester and Fort Wayne in Indiana, United States. Manchester offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree programs through 4 academic colleges, namely: College of Pharmacy, Natural and Health Sciences; College of Arts and Humanities; College of Education and Social Sciences; and the College of Business....
Liverpool, United Kingdom
- 98SchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,725Average Tuition
- 30%Acceptance Rate
Liverpool Hope University, located in Liverpool, UK offers a number of bachelor's degree programs through its faculties of Arts & Humanities, Education and Science....
Irvine, United States
- 100SchoolApply Rank
- USD 43,528Average Tuition
- 37%Acceptance Rate
The University of California - Irvine is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities with a campus in Irvine; a suburban area in California, U.S.A. Through its faculties, the university offers over 80 bachelor's degree programs....
- 141SchoolApply Rank
- USD 25,693Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The Trinity College Dublin (TCD) is located in Dublin, Ireland. Situated in the multicultural European Capital, TCD offers undergraduate courses in a wide range of disciplines that come under the faculties of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Engineering, Mathematics and Science; and Health Sciences. ...
Cardiff, United Kingdom
- 148SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,283Average Tuition
- 80%Acceptance Rate
Cardiff Metropolitan University (Cardiff Met) is a UK public Institution with two central campuses located in Llandaff and Cyncoed in Wales, United Kingdom. Through its 6 academic schools, the university offers bachelor’s programs in a wide range of disciplines....
London, United Kingdom
- 149SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,177Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
St Mary's University London (St Mary’s) is located in Twickenham, London. St Mary's offers over a 100 bachelor’s degree programs across its 4 academic schools, namely: Arts and Humanities; Education, Theology and Leadership; Management and Social Sciences; and Sport, Health and Applied Science. ...
Chester, United Kingdom
- 154SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,289Average Tuition
- 65%Acceptance Rate
The University of Chester is one of the oldest universities in the UK. Founded in 1839, it is a public university situated in Chester, England. The University has dedicated faculties through which it delivers bachelors degree programs to local and international students....
Buckingham, United Kingdom
- 166SchoolApply Rank
- USD 20,021Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The University of Buckingham (UB) is one of UK’S oldest private universities located in the city of Buckingham, England. Through its 14 academic schools, the university offers bachelor’s programs in a wide range of disciplines....
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
- 177SchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,208Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Buckinghamshire New University (Bucks) has campuses located in the towns of High Wycombe, Uxbridge, Aylesbury Vale, and Missenden Abbey, United Kingdom. Bucks offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree programs through its 4 academic schools, namely: School of Arts and Creative Industries; School of Management and Professional Studies; School of Health and Social Sciences; and the School of Pre-Qualifying Nursing and Vocational Health Care....
Canterbury, United Kingdom
- 180SchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,208Average Tuition
- 52%Acceptance Rate
The University focuses on educating people going into public service. It retains its status as a Church of England foundation. It is also known as England's "missionary university...