Bachelor of MedicineCreate Account
A Bachelor of Medicine is an undergraduate degree awarded to students who complete a medicine course at an accredited university. The course lays a foundation of knowledge related to health sciences, the human body and proper usage of medicine. Students will learn the early signs of diseases and how to manage medical emergencies.
What Is a Bachelor of Medicine?
A Bachelor of Medicine takes three to four years to complete depending on the institution. Studies focus heavily on the sciences to prepare students with knowledge of the body and its mechanisms. Students can expect to attend lectures and complete group work as in other degree programs. However, they will likely spend a significant amount of class time in laboratories. Dissections and lab experiments will be a fundamental element of a degree in medicine.
The exact requirements for the medicine degree will vary based on the specialisation the student chooses. Typical coursework might include:
- Anatomy and Physiology: Students will begin learning about the complex processes and systems of the human body. They will learn the location of various bones and organs as well as the functions of their related systems.
- Chemistry: The chemical make up of drugs is crucial knowledge to those who intend to treat patients. Students will learn basic to intermediate chemistry to from a foundational knowledge.
- Biology: This scientific discipline is especially important for the study of medicine. The foundation of diagnosis medicine lies in the understanding of biology. Students learn how systems must work together and what happens when issues occur.
- Human Behavior: Students may study psychology and similar subjects to gain insight into the causes, development, and treatment of mental illness. Students may have the chance to study past experiments or create their own.
- Drug Mechanisms: Students use their combined knowledge of the human body and science to understand how drugs operate within the body. Students begin to learn how and why doctors prescribe medicine.
What Are the Benefits of Completing a Bachelor of Medicine?
After completing a Bachelor’s degree in this subject, graduates are prepared to enter the workforce with these advantages:
- Build a Professional Network: Students have the chance to make professional connections through their internships and classes. Professors, mentors, and peers will serve as their first professional contacts. A strong network can help students find employment and other opportunities later.
- Receive Valuable Guidance: Under the watchful eye of a support system of professors and guidance counselors, students have the chance to develop under the guidance of experts. Professional educators will ensure students are well prepared for the demands of the professional world.
- Increased Salary: Graduates will qualify for a grater range of positions relative to secondary school graduates. Additionally, these jobs are likely to offer better starting and career pay.
- Prepare for a Graduate Program: Undergraduate degrees lay the groundwork for advanced academic study. Many graduates choose to move on to advanced medical programs and become doctors.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor of Medicine?
After completing their degree, students have a wide choice of options for their career. They can choose to seek placement in an advanced degree program or employment in an unrelated field. However, those wishing to stay in the health sciences field can choose to find work as:
- Health Services Manager: In this position, graduates oversee the daily operations of a general practice or community health service. They can perform a number of services in health practices in human resource, project management, and clinical departments.
- International Aid/Development Worker: In developing countries or disaster situations, the professionals work to get basic care to those in need. They may educate others, provide disaster planning, work with local governments and oversee similar tasks.
- Science Writer: These writers focus specifically on the scientific world including recent studies, breakthroughs and technology. Because of the graduates’ medicinal knowledge, they may find employment focusing on the health sciences niche.
- Research Aid: Graduates can find employment in research settings either in clinics or academic institutions. They can perform important research functions like collecting data or helping to manage the study’s execution.
Start with your medicinal education today. Begin looking for your ideal university either domestically or abroad. Many renowned institutions offer excellent undergraduate medicine programs. From public to private institutions, you have an incredible amount of choice when it comes to your education.
McHenry, United States
- 210SchoolApply Rank
- USD 23,440Average Tuition
- 77%Acceptance Rate
The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) is a public research university in Chicago, Illinois, United States. The university offers a good number of bachelor’s degree programs through its 15 schools....
Pittsburgh, United States
- 252SchoolApply Rank
- USD 38,178Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
Duquesne University is a private non-profit university situated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. Through its nine schools, Duquesne offers a wide variety of Bachelor's degree programs....
Nashville, United States
- 266SchoolApply Rank
- USD 29,676Average Tuition
- 60%Acceptance Rate
Lipscomb University is a private Christian University located in the Green Hills area of Nashville in Tennessee, USA. The University offers a number of bachelor's degree programs in the disciplines of Music, Education, Liberal Arts, Business, Health Sciences and Engineering....
Pullman, United States
- 282SchoolApply Rank
- USD 23,956Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Washington State University (WSU) is a public research university with its main campus in the rural town of Pullman, Washington, USA. WSU also has regional vanguards in a number of cities which are; Vancouver, Tri-cities, Spokane, Everett and its global online campus. WSU offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs....
Tampa, United States
- 287SchoolApply Rank
- USD 17,250Average Tuition
- 44%Acceptance Rate
The University of South Florida (USF) is a public research university located in Tampa, Florida, United States. The university offers a good number of bachelor’s degree programs through its academic schools....
Garden City, United States
- 303SchoolApply Rank
- USD 36,920Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Adelphi University is a private, coeducational institution of higher learning located in Garden City, New York, United States and has a dedicated faculty through which it offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs. ...
Ypsilanti, United States
- 316SchoolApply Rank
- USD 29,775Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Eastern Michigan University (EMU) is a learning and research institute in Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA. Students can choose from over 200 bachelor’s degree programs at EMU....
- 330SchoolApply Rank
- USD 8,793Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
Griffith University, located in Queensland, Australia, is a public research university, offering undergraduate and postgraduate degrees spanning the fields of Business & Government; Criminology & Law; Education; Engineering & IT; Environment, Planning & Architecture; Health; Humanities, Social Sciences & Languages; Music; Science & Aviation; and Visual & Creative Arts....
Birmingham, United States
- 332SchoolApply Rank
- USD 24,630Average Tuition
- 92%Acceptance Rate
The University of Alabama - Birmingham (UAB) is a public research university located in the city of Birmingham, Alabama, United States. Through its academic schools, the university offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree programs....
Bellingham, United States
- 360SchoolApply Rank
- USD 22,450Average Tuition
- 85%Acceptance Rate
Western Washington University (WWU) is a public institution located in Bellingham, Washington. WWU offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs through its seven colleges namely: College of Business and Economics, Fine and Performing Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Science and Engineering; Fairhaven College of Interdisciplinary Studies; Huxley College of the Environment; and Woodring College of Education....