Bachelor of MathematicsCreate Account
A Bachelor’s in Mathematics is an undergraduate level degree awarded to students who have completed an accredited course of study at a university. Many educational institutions around the world offer mathematics programs for domestic and international students. There are many options for specialisation, internships, and exchange programs.
What Is a Bachelor of Mathematics?
A Bachelor’s in Mathematics will take three to four years to complete depending on the institution, country of study and specific program. Regardless, these programs aim to give students a thorough foundation in a range of mathematical disciplines. Many degrees highlight the intersectionality of mathematics with other major subjects like physics.
Students may do a high degree of problem sets to develop their ability to think mathematically. Additionally, they will attend lectures, work in groups and complete a variety of projects. While in the program, students may encounter a range of required and elective courses. The following are fairly common staples of a Bachelor’s in Mathematics:
- Advanced Calculus: Students are frequently asked to complete advanced levels of Calculus including Calculus III and Multi-Variable Calculus. These maths are used as a stepping stone for further math instruction.
- Physics: Because of the close correlation to math, physics is often a requirement. However, students are not usually asked to complete advanced courses in the subject. They may be asked to complete intermediate coursework.
- Computer Science: Students will learn the fundamentals of software and hardware systems. They will use this knowledge to complete mathematical models based on their coursework and possible future scenarios.
- Statistics: Students will have the chance to study statistics and statistical modelling during their mathematics program. Their courses will begin with basic knowledge before moving on to more specialised niches.
- Economics: Students will study how their mathematical expertise fits into the science of economy. Depending on the students’ focus, their coursework may require varying levels of study in this course.
What Are the Benefits of Completing a Bachelor of Mathematics?
After completing a Bachelor’s in Mathematics, graduates have developed a high level of analytical skills that can apply to many positions. Students will notice these benefits:
- Lay Professional Groundwork: Entering the workforce with a budding professional network can help graduates secure positions. Additionally, students learn the skills and concepts needed to succeed in the professional realm.
- Prepare for Advanced Academia: With foundational knowledge in Calculus, Physics and more, students are prepared to seek advanced and more specialised academic programs. They qualify for a variety of focuses in the science and mathematics niches.
- Increased Salary: With a Bachelor’s degree, graduates will qualify for a range of positions within and outside their field. Frequently, these positions come with better salaries and growth opportunities.
- Learn and Develop: At university, students have the chance to develop their skills under the guidance of professional educators. Furthermore, these institutions have resources like job counseling and internship connections.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor of Mathematics?
An undergraduate degree in mathematics is fairly versatile. Graduates can find employment in corporate enterprises, banks, government institutions and small businesses. Many specialisations are available to graduates who understand their career goals. These are common professions for mathematics program graduates:
- Actuary: These professionals are found in investment, insurance, corporate finance and banking environments. They closely evaluate and manage the financial risks related to their niche. Probability theory and statistics are needed for this field.
- Secondary School Teacher: With a Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, graduates are ready to pursue an entry-level teaching post in a secondary school. They can teach a range of courses from Algebra to Calculus.
- Operational Researcher: Using mathematical modelling, these professionals analyse the effectiveness of an organisation’s systems and operational procedures. This service is commonly used in government and commerce related agencies.
- Research Scientist: Typically, these professionals are found in government agencies, corporate enterprises, manufacturing business and universities. Their exact focus will depend on the focus of their enterprise, but they use mathematical models frequently.
From public to private universities, you can find the right program to suit your budget, interests, and career path. Jumpstart your education today and start the search for the right educational program for you. Keep in mind your ideal career path and you will be sure to receive the knowledge you need to succeed.
Southampton, United Kingdom
- 87SchoolApply Rank
- USD 24,152Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
University of Southampton (Southampton) is a public institution located along the University Road in Southampton, United Kingdom. Southampton offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs across its five academic faculties namely: Arts and Humanities; Engineering and Physical Sciences; Environmental and Life Sciences; Medicine; and Social Sciences....
Birmingham, United Kingdom
- 89SchoolApply Rank
- USD 17,618Average Tuition
- 70%Acceptance Rate
The University of Birmingham is located in the heart of England with campuses in the Edgbaston and Selly Oak areas of the city of Birmingham. Birmingham University offers over 350 different courses in its undergraduate program; 400 postgraduate taught courses; 140 research courses and 450 PhD opportunities....
Irvine, United States
- 96SchoolApply Rank
- USD 43,528Average Tuition
- 37%Acceptance Rate
The University of California - Irvine is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities with a campus in Irvine; a suburban area in California, U.S.A. Through its faculties, the university offers over 80 bachelor's degree programs....
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
- 130SchoolApply Rank
- USD 13,499Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The University of Chichester is a public university located in West Sussex, England. The University through its faculties offers Bachelors programs in a wide range of disciplines....
Dublin 2, Ireland
- 140SchoolApply Rank
- USD 24,168Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The Trinity College Dublin (TCD) is located in Dublin, Ireland. Situated in the multicultural European Capital, TCD offers undergraduate courses in a wide range of disciplines that come under the faculties of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Engineering, Mathematics and Science; and Health Sciences. ...
Liverpool, United Kingdom
- 142SchoolApply Rank
- USD 23,770Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
University of Liverpool is a diverse research University located in the city of Liverpool in England, UK. The University offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs from its various departments and schools including Architecture, Engineering, English and Law....
Greencastle, United States
- 143SchoolApply Rank
- USD 48,860Average Tuition
- 67%Acceptance Rate
DePauw University, established over 180 years ago, is a leading liberal arts College located in Greencastle in Indiana, USA. The institute offers a number of bachelor's degree programs through departments such as Communication & Theatre, Art & Art History, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Music and Religious Studies....
Tempe, United States
- 160SchoolApply Rank
- USD 27,618Average Tuition
- 77%Acceptance Rate
The Arizona State University is the largest public university by enrollment in the U.S. ASU comprises 16 colleges and schools that offer more personalized experiences for students, while offering opportunities to collaborate across disciplines and campuses....
Canterbury, United Kingdom
- 165SchoolApply Rank
- USD 13,982Average Tuition
- 52%Acceptance Rate
The University focuses on educating people going into public service. It retains its status as a Church of England foundation. It is also known as England's "missionary university...
York, United Kingdom
- 185SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,889Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
York St John University (York St John) is a public university located along Lord Mayor's Walk in York, England, UK. York St John offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs across its nine academic schools including: Art, Design and Computer Science; Education; Health Sciences; Humanities, Religion and Philosophy; and Sport....