Bachelor of LawCreate Account
A Bachelor of Law is an undergraduate degree offered through accredited universities throughout the world. Students frequently have the chance to specialise in topics like criminal law, contract law or constitutional law. Students will also learn the history of the legal process and how it operates within their country of study.
What Is a Bachelor of Law?
A Bachelor’s in Law program lasts between three to four years depending on your institution. For instance, US universities tend to have four-year programs while UK programs are usually three years in length. If students wish to study abroad or take a full time internship through their university, it’s common for them to complete their program with an additional year of study.
Students can expect plenty of lectures, case studies, essays and group work during their undergraduate program in law. Frequently, programs allow students to select a specialisation, while some programs prefer providing a broad knowledge of many legal niches. Regardless, many students have the opportunity to encounter the following subjects:
- Criminal Law: Students study the past court cases and commonly used laws for criminal proceedings. Students may focus on the nature of trials and current debates revolving around criminal law.
- Constitutional Law: Students first learn the full scope of the constitution and related documents. They study how courts base their rulings through reading arguments and case studies.
- Contract Law: Contract law is another specialisation in the field of law. Students have the opportunity to study a variety of niches like real estate, intellectual property and similar topics.
- Research Skills: Law professionals spend a vast amount of time researching, looking for precedents and finding relevant information. As such, some courses may focus specifically on developing this skill.
What Are the Benefits of Completing a Bachelor of Law?
A Bachelor’s program gives students foundational knowledge and practice with advanced critical thinking and analytical skills. This skill set is easily transferable to a wide range of professions and advanced academic programs. After completing their undergraduate program in law, students will notice these benefits:
- Make Professional Contacts: While at university, students have the chance to seek out internships and other opportunities that are difficult to come by. Additionally, they can begin building a professional network with their mentors, peers and professors.
- Earn Higher Wages: With a degree, graduates tend to qualify for more, and better positions in the field. Some may even be outside the field of law as employers highly value a post secondary education.
- Prepare for an Advanced Program: An undergraduate degree lays the foundation for advanced academic programs. Students with this degree frequently move on to advanced law programs and become lawyers and attorneys.
- Development Opportunities: Students have the chance to develop and learn with the guidance of knowledgeable professors. Additionally, they have a support system to peers and tutors.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor of Law?
After receiving a Bachelor’s in Law, students are prepared to enter the workforce as entry-level employees. Depending on the graduates’ career goals, they may find employment with government agencies or private enterprises. When students wish to enter the work force in a legal related field, they frequently pursue:
- Barrister: Most barristers are self-employed and the remaining professionals work with government institutions. Barristers provide clients with legal advance and represent clients in court for certain cases.
- Human Resources Officer: These professionals oversee the staff of a company to ensure positive working conditions and a suitable range of talent. They must have a clear knowledge of the law relating to their specific company type and internal objectives.
- Civil Service Administrator: Administrators can serve in a wide array of environments. They frequently research and compile information needed to recommended or craft important policies.
- Licensed Conveyancer: These professionals guide their clients in during property transactions. They advise on finance, legalities and administrative procedures. They need a strong knowledge of contracts and the mortgage market.
From private to public institutions, you can easily find a program that interests you. Bear in mind your legal interests and find a program that matches your natural career goals. After a few short years, you will be on your way to a promising career in the legal field. Get started with your education today and begin searching for the right program.
North Manchester, United States
- 25SchoolApply Rank
- USD 31,500Average Tuition
- 62%Acceptance Rate
Manchester University (Manchester) is a private university with campuses located in North Manchester and Fort Wayne in Indiana, United States. Manchester offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree programs through 4 academic colleges, namely: College of Pharmacy, Natural and Health Sciences; College of Arts and Humanities; College of Education and Social Sciences; and the College of Business....
Liverpool, United Kingdom
- 98SchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,725Average Tuition
- 30%Acceptance Rate
Liverpool Hope University, located in Liverpool, UK offers a number of bachelor's degree programs through its faculties of Arts & Humanities, Education and Science....
Irvine, United States
- 100SchoolApply Rank
- USD 43,528Average Tuition
- 37%Acceptance Rate
The University of California - Irvine is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities with a campus in Irvine; a suburban area in California, U.S.A. Through its faculties, the university offers over 80 bachelor's degree programs....
London, United Kingdom
- 137SchoolApply Rank
- USD 13,626Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
University of West London with campuses in Ealing and Brentford in London, UK offers undergraduate and postgraduate studies through its eight schools: the London School of Film, Media & Design; Claude Littner Business School; School of Computing and Engineering; London College of Hospitality and Tourism; Ealing Law School; London College of Music; College of Nursing, Midwifery and Healthcare; School of Psychology, Social Care and Human Sciences....
- 141SchoolApply Rank
- USD 25,693Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The Trinity College Dublin (TCD) is located in Dublin, Ireland. Situated in the multicultural European Capital, TCD offers undergraduate courses in a wide range of disciplines that come under the faculties of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Engineering, Mathematics and Science; and Health Sciences. ...
Bath, United Kingdom
- 146SchoolApply Rank
- USD 17,308Average Tuition
- 89%Acceptance Rate
Bath Spa University’s (Bath Spa) main campus is located in Newton Park and Sion Hill, Bath, United Kingdom. Bath Spa also has a campus located in the market town of Corsham. Bath Spa offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree programs across its 4 academic schools, namely: Bath Business School; Bath School of Art and Design; College of Liberal Arts; and the Institute for Education....
London, United Kingdom
- 149SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,177Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
St Mary's University London (St Mary’s) is located in Twickenham, London. St Mary's offers over a 100 bachelor’s degree programs across its 4 academic schools, namely: Arts and Humanities; Education, Theology and Leadership; Management and Social Sciences; and Sport, Health and Applied Science. ...
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
- 151SchoolApply Rank
- USD 17,877Average Tuition
- 0Acceptance Rate
The University of Gloucestershire (Gloucestershire) has 3 campuses across Gloucestershire and Cheltenham, United Kingdom. Gloucestershire offers over 100 bachelor’s degree programs through its 8 academic schools, including: School of Education; School of Media; School of Sport and Exercise; and the School of Health and Social Care....
Chester, United Kingdom
- 154SchoolApply Rank
- USD 15,289Average Tuition
- 65%Acceptance Rate
The University of Chester is one of the oldest universities in the UK. Founded in 1839, it is a public university situated in Chester, England. The University has dedicated faculties through which it delivers bachelors degree programs to local and international students....
Dundee, United Kingdom
- 158SchoolApply Rank
- USD 18,342Average Tuition
Abertay University is a public university located in Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom. Abertay offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs in Business, Law, Engineering, Social Sciences, Game Design, Law and more....