Bachelor of Fine ArtsCreate Account
A Bachelor of Fine Arts is an undergraduate degree offered at accredited universities around the world. Students learn the fundamental practices, movements and theories in art, ranging from the ancient to modern. Many universities offer unique specializations in various forms of studio art or art history. In some cases, students can complete a joint Master’s program as well.
What Is a Bachelor of Fine Arts?
Depending on where students choose to study, their Bachelor’s of Fine Arts program may last between three and four years. As an example, US based programs typically last four years, while UK programs are usually three years. It’s common for students to choose between practical and historical focuses. Students on a historical track will focus on the evolution and stages of art. The practical track will focus more on the production of artwork and exploring various techniques.
Students can expect a mixture of lectures, projects and group work assignments during their program. Fine arts programs give students a unique opportunity to explore a practical or performance aspect of their academic field. During the program, students may encounter the following common courses:
- Historic Architecture: In the fine art world, architecture is a powerful form of expression. Students will study the evolution of architecture through the ages and its connections to global culture.
- Art Through Time: From ancient cave paintings to modern day exhibits, students look closely at how and why art evolved. Students learn the different waves and movements within the world of fine art.
- Drawing: An introductory drawing class is customary for many Bachelor’s in Fine Arts programs. Students learn to express basic forms accurately from geometric objects to the human form.
- Advanced Project: For those on a studio-focused track, students may complete a final art project as a demonstration of skill. They may do this through an honours, thesis or independent study course.
What Are the Benefits of Completing a Bachelor of Fine Arts?
Completing an undergraduate program in fine arts gives students a competitive advantage in the job market. They are better prepared for professional demands and have a chance to develop highly focused knowledge and skills.
- Build Professional Network: For aspiring fine artists especially, building a professional network can be key to finding great employment in the fine arts field. Professors, mentors and peers frequently serve as a contact for open positions.
- Lay Groundwork for Advanced Study: After receiving a Bachelor’s degree in fine arts, students qualify for a number of graduate programs from law to advanced art programs. Students are prepared with honed analytical and problem solving skills.
- Earn Higher Income: Employers view educated professionals as a valuable asset to any team. With a Bachelor’s degree, students frequently qualify for better and higher paying positions relative to secondary school graduates.
- Receive Guided Learning: Students gain the chance to learn with an expansive support system. Universities frequently offer internship contacts, career counselling, tutoring labs and other helpful resources.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor of Fine Arts?
After completing a Bachelor’s in Fine Arts program, students are prepared for a range of entry-level employment. Students wishing to pursue a career related to their degree frequently choose on of these positions:
- Fine Artist: As a fine artist, graduates can do a broad range of freelance and commission-based work. Additionally, they can apply for private or public grants to fund their work.
- Secondary School Teacher: Graduates must receive the requisite teaching certifications to qualify for a teaching position. However, their knowledge makes them well suited for fine arts instruction at this level.
- Art Curator: Curators are frequently found in museums and galleries of varying sizes. They oversee art collections and exhibits. They deal directly with the acquisition, sale, care and marketing of the collection.
- Art Exhibitions Officer: This professional acts as a project manager for the museum or gallery’s entire art collection. The officer guides the marketing and promotion of the artwork as well as logistical details.
Start searching for your ideal Bachelor’s of Fine Arts program today to jumpstart your education. These degrees are offered around the world, giving you the unique chance to travel and study from a global art perspective. Consider your specialisation as you look for schools to help you find the right match for your interests.
Tacoma, United States
- 239SchoolApply Rank
- USD 49,510Average Tuition
- 84%Acceptance Rate
The University of Puget Sound is a private located in the North End of Tacoma, Washington, in the United States. The University offers a variety of bachelor's degree programs....
New York, United States
- 243SchoolApply Rank
- USD 44,714Average Tuition
- 80%Acceptance Rate
Pace University (Pace) is a private institution located in New York, USA. Pace has two campuses across USA, with the main campus in New York city and another campus in Westchester. Pace offers bachelor's degree programs through its five academic colleges namely, College of Health Professions; Dyson College of Arts and Sciences; Lubin School of Business; School of Education; and Seidenberg School of CSIS. ...
Chicago, United States
- 245SchoolApply Rank
- USD 39,369Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
DePaul University is a private Catholic institute of higher education located in Chicago, Illinois, United States. DePaul University offers more than 130 majors at the undergraduate degree level in disciplines including Management, Computer Science, Hospitality, Engineering and more. DePaul University is licensed by the Higher Learning Commission(HLC) to award bachelor's degree programmes....
Pittsburgh, United States
- 252SchoolApply Rank
- USD 38,178Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
Duquesne University is a private non-profit university situated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. Through its nine schools, Duquesne offers a wide variety of Bachelor's degree programs....
Chester, United States
- 265SchoolApply Rank
- USD 45,028Average Tuition
- 65%Acceptance Rate
Widener University (Widener) is a private institution with campuses in Pennsylvania and one in Delaware, USA. The university offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs through its five academic schools namely, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Engineering, Human Service Professions, and Nursing....
Nashville, United States
- 266SchoolApply Rank
- USD 29,676Average Tuition
- 60%Acceptance Rate
Lipscomb University is a private Christian University located in the Green Hills area of Nashville in Tennessee, USA. The University offers a number of bachelor's degree programs in the disciplines of Music, Education, Liberal Arts, Business, Health Sciences and Engineering....
Kirksville, United States
- 272SchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,277Average Tuition
- 67%Acceptance Rate
Truman State University (Truman) is a public university located in the city of Kirksville in Missouri, United States. Truman offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree programs through 5 academic schools, namely: the School of Arts and Letters; School of Health Sciences and Education; School of Science and Mathematics; School of Social and Cultural Studies; and the School of Business....
Garden City, United States
- 303SchoolApply Rank
- USD 36,920Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Adelphi University is a private, coeducational institution of higher learning located in Garden City, New York, United States and has a dedicated faculty through which it offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs. ...
Ypsilanti, United States
- 316SchoolApply Rank
- USD 29,775Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Eastern Michigan University (EMU) is a learning and research institute in Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA. Students can choose from over 200 bachelor’s degree programs at EMU....
Macon, United States
- 351SchoolApply Rank
- USD 36,892Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Mercer, founded in 1833, is a private university. Its 150-acre campus is located in Macon, 85 miles south of Atlanta. It offers undergraduate, graduate and special programs. With over 8,500 students enrolled at its campuses, Mercer consistently ranks among the nation's leading institutions....