Bachelor in Petroleum EngineeringCreate Account
Bachelor’s Program in Petroleum Engineering
A Bachelor’s degree is an undergraduate degree awarded to students who’ve successfully completed a Bachelor’s program at an accredited university. Generally, students attain this degree to be more competitive in the work force or to prepare for more advanced degree programs. During their program, students gain the knowledge and skills necessary to enter the professional realm.
What Is a Bachelor’s Program in Petroleum Engineering?
A Bachelor’s Program in Petroleum Engineering provides a framework for students to learn how to deal with issues of energy security and affordability. Students learn to innovate and explore the safe production and responsible economic use of natural oil resources. Student coursework will likely fall into these four categories:
- Mathematics: Depending on the requirements, students are expected to reach at least Calculus II and they may possibly pursue advanced Calculus. Statistics and mathematical modelling courses may also be part of the curriculum.
- Physics: Students will study physics at an advanced level and will go on to niche topics like engineering physics, petro physics and fluid properties. Students will apply physical principles to petroleum related tasks like well logging.
- Chemistry: Students begin with the basic and advanced principles of chemicals. Eventually, students combine their chemical knowledge with other disciplines to better understand sediment composition and mechanics.
- Geology: Students study the conditions conducive to petroleum production and effective management. They study geosystems, thermodynamic, fluid properties and similar topics.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Bachelor’s in Petroleum Engineering?
Beyond the certification of an undergraduate degree, students gain the benefit of:
- Increased Salary: Starting pay for petroleum engineers gives you a more than liveable wage and typically exceeds what student’s are capable of with only a secondary school diploma.
- Professional Skill Sets: Students gain real world knowledge of how to manage oil and gas production as well as reservoirs. These skills will help them succeed from their first day on the job onward.
- Build Professional Network: Many schools are well-connected to engineering companies that enjoy taking on interns. This is a great chance to build a professional network.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor’s in Petroleum Engineering?
After completing this degree, students can enter the field as an entry-level petroleum engineer. The field overlaps with chemical, civil and mechanical engineering disciplines. Increasingly, petroleum engineers used advanced computer systems to simulate natural behaviours and to automate oil production. Most commonly, graduates will fall into these three job titles:
- Drilling Engineering: These engineers will oversee drilling activities to ensure proper implementation of technology and wise resource management. As needed, the engineers improve processes.
- Production Engineering: These professionals will be more concerned with how much is produced in relation to the demand for their company. They work with other engineers to ensure proper product management.
- Reservoir Engineering: These professionals evaluate a reservoirs' ability to produce oil and gas. They oversee recovery schemes and design the collection schemes in conjunction with other project engineers.
Are you ready to jumpstart a great career in an industry that’s constantly looking for new talent? Start searching for your perfect bachelor degree programs in petroleum engineering today.
Lawrence, United States
- 309SchoolApply Rank
- USD 26,240Average Tuition
- 91.4%Acceptance Rate
The University of Kansas (KU) is a state-sponsored, public research institution located in Kansas, United States. KU is spread across five campuses and through its 14 colleges, the university offers a wide range of bachelor's degree courses. ...
Baton Rouge, United States
- 476SchoolApply Rank
- USD 27,000Average Tuition
- 75%Acceptance Rate
Louisiana State University (LSU) is a flagship public university located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA, and offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs through its many academic schools and colleges....
Morgantown, United States
- 509SchoolApply Rank
- USD 32,482Average Tuition
- 86%Acceptance Rate
West Virginia University (WVU) is a public institution with its main campus located in Morgantown, and other campuses in Beckley and Keyser, West Virginia, U.S.A. WVU offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs through its 14 academic colleges and schools including: Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources, WVU College of Law, and Reed College of Media....
Tulsa, United States
- 515SchoolApply Rank
- USD 40,484Average Tuition
- 40.3%Acceptance Rate
The University of Tulsa (TU) is a leading private research institution located in Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States. The university offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree program through its academic schools....
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
- 592SchoolApply Rank
- USD 16,408Average Tuition
- 37%Acceptance Rate
The University of Portsmouth (UOP) is located in the city of Portsmouth in Hampshire, United Kingdom. UOP offers over 100 bachelor’s degree programs through its 5 academic faculties, namely: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences; Faculty of Business and Law; Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries; Faculty of Science; and the Faculty of Technology....
London, United Kingdom
- 758SchoolApply Rank
- USD 16,660Average Tuition
- 87%Acceptance Rate
London South Bank University (LSBU) is a cosmopolitan university with 2 campuses located in the center of London. The University offers undergraduate programs through its seven academic schools of Applied Sciences, Built Environment and Architecture, Business, Engineering, Law and Social Sciences, Health and Social Care, and Arts and Creative Industries....
- 881SchoolApply Rank
- USD 16,174Average Tuition
- 67.1%Acceptance Rate
The University of Regina (U of R) has campuses in Regina and Saskatoon in Saskatchewan, Canada. Home to 10 faculties, U of R offers bachelor's degrees in a wide range of programs. ...
Slippery Rock, United States
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 9,934Average Tuition
- 67%Acceptance Rate
Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania (SRU) is a public institution located in Pennsylvania, USA. SRU offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs through its four colleges namely, College of Business; College of Education; College of Health, Environment and Science; and College of Liberal Arts....
- N/ASchoolApply Rank
- USD 11,728Average Tuition
- 75%Acceptance Rate
The Cape Breton University is located in Cape Breton Island in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada. In Nova Scotia’s second largest city, the University offers a variety of undergraduate degree programs suited for success in the liberal arts, business, science and technology. ...