Bachelor of Education in the USCreate Account
Bachelor of Education in the US
A Bachelor of Education in the US is a four-year undergraduate degree offered through accredited institutions. Students learn the basics of effective teaching methods, classroom management, education psychology and similar subjects. The degree prepares students for entry-level employment in the educational field and/or advancement into higher academic programs. The US offers a full range of public and private institutions for domestic and international students.
What Is a Bachelor of Education?
In the US, a Bachelor of Education program lasts four years. However, it is not uncommon for students to complete the course with an extra semester or year of study. As with most undergraduate programs, students must complete a round of general requirements to prepare them for more rigorous classes in their academic focus. To prepare for real world situations, many undergraduate programs focus on the following elements to some degree:
- Psychology: Depending on the institution and program, students can expect to be exposed to a range of psychology niches. Courses may focus on experimental, developmental, cognitive, adolescent and/or educational psychology.
- Educational Philosophy: Students will also study various teaching philosophies regarding effective classroom methods and the overall purpose of education. Additionally, students may ponder ethical issues in education.
- Contemporary Issues in Education: These courses highlight the current debates and battles going on in the education system. Students are likely to focus on US domestic education issues, but they may also study global education.
- Urban Intersectionality: Teaching in low-income, and city areas has a unique challenge. Students may take classes that focus on racial politics, intersectional identities and the like, in urban educational environment.
- Student Teaching: Many education programs will require a number of credit hours to be completed in the field. Students will work with the guidance of a professional teaching mentor and gain valuable experience.
What Are the Benefits of Completing a Bachelor of Education?
With a bachelor’s degree, students are prepared to enter the workforce as entry-level professionals. They are ahead of the curve thanks to these benefits:
- Advanced Academic Foundation: If students wish to pursue advanced degrees in education, they first need the foundational knowledge of a Bachelor’s degree. With these undergraduate skills, students are prepared for greater academic rigor.
- Pay Increase: A Bachelor’s degree is a premium qualification and frequently means an expected salary increase for graduates. This applies to starting salaries, and raises down the road.
- Greater Job Opportunities: Graduates typically qualify for a greater range of jobs compared to secondary school graduates. Additionally, graduates generally are eligible for higher-level positions.
- Guided Development: In the university setting, students have the chance to learn and develop with the guidance of knowledgeable mentors and professors. Plus, they can lean on their classmates for group learning.
- Professional Network: A strong professional network starts with professors, internships, mentors, and peers in the university. With a quality network, students may have a more successful employment search after graduation.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor of Education?
With a Bachelor's of Education, graduates are eligible for a variety of posts, but many choose to go into the field as primary and secondary school educators. Primary school educators lay the groundwork for their students’ academic and personal development. Primary school teachers typically teach the full gambit of educational topics. They are responsible for planning lessons, facilitating testing and maintaining pace with the mandated curriculum.
Secondary school teachers tend to teach one major subject such as history, foreign language or mathematics. Within these categories, they may teach multiple topics like Algebra and Calculus. Like primary educators, secondary school teachers are responsible for making their lesson plans and ensuring their pupils understand certain basic concepts of the course.
To be more competitive in the job market, some graduates will move on to higher-level academic programs. Following these programs, students may qualify for administrative positions in the education field. In this position, they would be responsible for overseeing an entire school or number of schools. Additionally, they may contribute to local educational standards mandated through government.
Do not wait, start your search for the perfect university today! From Stanford to Columbia, you have plenty of excellent options for a great education. Start looking for a program today and in a few short years, you will be on your way to a thriving professional career.
Irvine, United States
- 110SchoolApply Rank
- USD 24,708Average Tuition
- 37.4%Acceptance Rate
The University of California - Irvine is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities with a campus in Irvine; a suburban area in California, U.S.A. Through its faculties, the university offers over 80 bachelor's degree programs. ...
Tempe, United States
- 179SchoolApply Rank
- USD 40,463Average Tuition
- 84%Acceptance Rate
The Arizona State University is the largest public university by enrollment in the U.S. ASU comprises 16 colleges and schools that offer more personalized experiences for students, while offering opportunities to collaborate across disciplines and campuses....
Greencastle, United States
- 185SchoolApply Rank
- USD 56,678Average Tuition
- 57%Acceptance Rate
DePauw University, established over 180 years ago, is a leading liberal arts College located in Greencastle in Indiana, USA. The institute offers a number of bachelor's degree programs through departments such as Communication & Theatre, Art & Art History, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Music and Religious Studies....
Salt Lake City, United States
- 237SchoolApply Rank
- USD 21,296Average Tuition
- 81.7%Acceptance Rate
The University of Utah (the U) is a public institution located in Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A. The U offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs across its 17 academic colleges and schools....
McHenry, United States
- 241SchoolApply Rank
- USD 13,670Average Tuition
- 72.7%Acceptance Rate
The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) is a public research university in Chicago, Illinois, United States. The university offers a good number of bachelor’s degree programs through its 15 schools....
Spokane, United States
- 248SchoolApply Rank
- USD 53,415Average Tuition
- 68%Acceptance Rate
Gonzaga University (GU) is a leading private institution of higher learning, located in Spokane, Washington, United States and managed by the Jesuit missionary of the Catholic Church. Through its various faculties, the university offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs....
Boston, United States
- 271SchoolApply Rank
- USD 52,644Average Tuition
- 84%Acceptance Rate
Suffolk University is a private, non-sectarian, non-profit research university located in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. The university offers bachelor’s degree programs through its academic schools....
Pittsburgh, United States
- 274SchoolApply Rank
- USD 36,394Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Duquesne University is a private non-profit university situated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. Through its nine schools, Duquesne offers a wide variety of Bachelor's degree programs....
Boston, United States
- 275SchoolApply Rank
- USD 62,800Average Tuition
- 32%Acceptance Rate
Northeastern University located in Boston, Massachusetts, offers 150 undergraduate majors of study and 125 graduate areas of study through its nine colleges and schools of Arts, Media & Design; Business, Computer & Information Science; Engineering; Health Sciences; Law; Professional Studies; Science; and Social Sciences & Humanities; as well as select advanced degrees at graduate campuses in Charlotte, North Carolina, Seattle, Silicon Valley, and Toronto....
Tallahassee, United States
- 277SchoolApply Rank
- USD 21,683Average Tuition
- 55%Acceptance Rate
Florida State University is a multicultural public University located in the city of Tallahassee in Florida, USA. The University offers a number of bachelor's degree programs from its various Colleges including Fine Arts, Business, Engineering and Arts & Sciences....