Bachelor of Education in the USCreate Account
Bachelor of Education in the US
A Bachelor of Education in the US is a four-year undergraduate degree offered through accredited institutions. Students learn the basics of effective teaching methods, classroom management, education psychology and similar subjects. The degree prepares students for entry-level employment in the educational field and/or advancement into higher academic programs. The US offers a full range of public and private institutions for domestic and international students.
What Is a Bachelor of Education?
In the US, a Bachelor of Education program lasts four years. However, it is not uncommon for students to complete the course with an extra semester or year of study. As with most undergraduate programs, students must complete a round of general requirements to prepare them for more rigorous classes in their academic focus. To prepare for real world situations, many undergraduate programs focus on the following elements to some degree:
- Psychology: Depending on the institution and program, students can expect to be exposed to a range of psychology niches. Courses may focus on experimental, developmental, cognitive, adolescent and/or educational psychology.
- Educational Philosophy: Students will also study various teaching philosophies regarding effective classroom methods and the overall purpose of education. Additionally, students may ponder ethical issues in education.
- Contemporary Issues in Education: These courses highlight the current debates and battles going on in the education system. Students are likely to focus on US domestic education issues, but they may also study global education.
- Urban Intersectionality: Teaching in low-income, and city areas has a unique challenge. Students may take classes that focus on racial politics, intersectional identities and the like, in urban educational environment.
- Student Teaching: Many education programs will require a number of credit hours to be completed in the field. Students will work with the guidance of a professional teaching mentor and gain valuable experience.
What Are the Benefits of Completing a Bachelor of Education?
With a bachelor’s degree, students are prepared to enter the workforce as entry-level professionals. They are ahead of the curve thanks to these benefits:
- Advanced Academic Foundation: If students wish to pursue advanced degrees in education, they first need the foundational knowledge of a Bachelor’s degree. With these undergraduate skills, students are prepared for greater academic rigor.
- Pay Increase: A Bachelor’s degree is a premium qualification and frequently means an expected salary increase for graduates. This applies to starting salaries, and raises down the road.
- Greater Job Opportunities: Graduates typically qualify for a greater range of jobs compared to secondary school graduates. Additionally, graduates generally are eligible for higher-level positions.
- Guided Development: In the university setting, students have the chance to learn and develop with the guidance of knowledgeable mentors and professors. Plus, they can lean on their classmates for group learning.
- Professional Network: A strong professional network starts with professors, internships, mentors, and peers in the university. With a quality network, students may have a more successful employment search after graduation.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor of Education?
With a Bachelor's of Education, graduates are eligible for a variety of posts, but many choose to go into the field as primary and secondary school educators. Primary school educators lay the groundwork for their students’ academic and personal development. Primary school teachers typically teach the full gambit of educational topics. They are responsible for planning lessons, facilitating testing and maintaining pace with the mandated curriculum.
Secondary school teachers tend to teach one major subject such as history, foreign language or mathematics. Within these categories, they may teach multiple topics like Algebra and Calculus. Like primary educators, secondary school teachers are responsible for making their lesson plans and ensuring their pupils understand certain basic concepts of the course.
To be more competitive in the job market, some graduates will move on to higher-level academic programs. Following these programs, students may qualify for administrative positions in the education field. In this position, they would be responsible for overseeing an entire school or number of schools. Additionally, they may contribute to local educational standards mandated through government.
Do not wait, start your search for the perfect university today! From Stanford to Columbia, you have plenty of excellent options for a great education. Start looking for a program today and in a few short years, you will be on your way to a thriving professional career.
Irvine, United States
- 96SchoolApply Rank
- USD 43,528Average Tuition
- 37%Acceptance Rate
The University of California - Irvine is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities with a campus in Irvine; a suburban area in California, U.S.A. Through its faculties, the university offers over 80 bachelor's degree programs....
Tempe, United States
- 160SchoolApply Rank
- USD 31,200Average Tuition
- 77%Acceptance Rate
The Arizona State University is the largest public university by enrollment in the U.S. ASU comprises 16 colleges and schools that offer more personalized experiences for students, while offering opportunities to collaborate across disciplines and campuses....
Salt Lake City, United States
- 202SchoolApply Rank
- USD 27,990Average Tuition
- 66%Acceptance Rate
The University of Utah (the U) is a public institution located in Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A. The U offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs across its 17 academic colleges and schools....
McHenry, United States
- 204SchoolApply Rank
- USD 23,440Average Tuition
- 77%Acceptance Rate
The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) is a public research university in Chicago, Illinois, United States. The university offers a good number of bachelor’s degree programs through its 15 schools....
Normal, United States
- 236SchoolApply Rank
- USD 25,428Average Tuition
- 89%Acceptance Rate
Illinois State University is the first publicly-funded higher education institution in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois. It offers undergraduate majors and graduate degree programs in a wide variety of concentrations including applied science and technology, arts and sciences, business, education, fine arts, and nursing. Illinois State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission....
Tacoma, United States
- 241SchoolApply Rank
- USD 49,510Average Tuition
- 84%Acceptance Rate
The University of Puget Sound is a private located in the North End of Tacoma, Washington, in the United States. The University offers a variety of bachelor's degree programs....
New York, United States
- 245SchoolApply Rank
- USD 44,714Average Tuition
- 80%Acceptance Rate
Pace University (Pace) is a private institution located in New York, USA. Pace has two campuses across USA, with the main campus in New York city and another campus in Westchester. Pace offers bachelor's degree programs through its five academic colleges namely, College of Health Professions; Dyson College of Arts and Sciences; Lubin School of Business; School of Education; and Seidenberg School of CSIS. ...
Boston, United States
- 246SchoolApply Rank
- USD 38,420Average Tuition
- 83%Acceptance Rate
Suffolk University is a private, non-sectarian, non-profit research university located in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. The university offers bachelor’s degree programs through its academic schools....
Chicago, United States
- 247SchoolApply Rank
- USD 39,369Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
DePaul University is a private Catholic institute of higher education located in Chicago, Illinois, United States. DePaul University offers more than 130 majors at the undergraduate degree level in disciplines including Management, Computer Science, Hospitality, Engineering and more. DePaul University is licensed by the Higher Learning Commission(HLC) to award bachelor's degree programmes....
Pittsburgh, United States
- 254SchoolApply Rank
- USD 38,178Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
Duquesne University is a private non-profit university situated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. Through its nine schools, Duquesne offers a wide variety of Bachelor's degree programs....