Bachelor Degree in the USCreate Account
A bachelor’s is the degree most commonly granted by colleges and universities in the US. These degrees are usually given to students at the end of a three to five-year undergraduate period. A bachelor’s degree can be earned in a variety of studies, and many students choose to pursue graduate studies at the end of a programme. Depending on the academic institution, students are usually required to earn a certain number of credit hours prior to graduation.
What is a Bachelor’s degree in the US?
A bachelor’s degree in the US usually requires students to focus on a specific subject matter. In addition to this subject matter, courses covering the humanities and sciences (core classes) are usually required as well. Some institutions allow students to create their own programme of study depending on personal interests and preferences. Here are some of the most popular baccalaureate programmes in the US.
- Bachelor’s in Business Administration
- Bachelor’s in History
- Bachelor’s in English
- Bachelor’s in Psychology
- Bachelor’s in Accounting
- Bachelor’s in Biology
Luckily for students, colleges and universities in the US have some of the most highly rated academic programmes in the world. Some schools offer exceptional science and engineering programmes, while others focus on the arts and humanities. Many schools even offer students the opportunity to double-major and earn two bachelor’s degrees at the time of graduation. After earning a bachelor’s degree, students may choose to pursue a master’s or professional degree, or enter the workforce.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Bachelor Degree in the US?
Students who earn a bachelor’s degree will usually reap a number of benefits. Here are some of the most common benefits of higher education in the US.
- Higher Salaries – At the time of hire, individuals with college degrees will almost always be able to command higher salaries. This is because companies and organisations tend to place a strong value on specialised knowledge.
- More Career Prospects – When looking for employment, students with a degree will usually have an easier time finding work than those without a degree. The majority of careers now require some form of post-secondary education in the US.
- Promotion Opportunities – Students with degrees typically have an easier time getting promoted. Their wider knowledge base makes them valuable employees that cannot be easily replaced.
- Increased Job Satisfaction – College-educated students have access to better-paying jobs with fewer hours and less stress. They also enjoy higher levels of job security than individuals who do not have degrees.
Bachelor degrees provide students with the time management, organisational and critical thinking skills they need to excel. These skills are difficult to acquire without some form of higher education.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor Degree in the US?
Depending on the field of study, students will be able to choose from a variety of exciting careers after earning a degree. Here is a list of some of the most common types of baccalaureate degrees in the US and the careers they offer.
- Bachelor of Science (BS) – This degree is conferred to students who major in the fields of science and engineering. It usually requires a more science-heavy curriculum, and fewer humanities courses. Students who major in Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Engineering and Mathematics, usually receive this degree at graduation.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) – Students majoring in the performing and creative arts are usually granted this bachelor’s degree. In order to earn a BFA, a student must major in Dance, Drama, Film Studies, Creative Writing or Visual Arts.
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) – This is the most common type of bachelor’s degree, and it is awarded to students who major in the humanities and social sciences. Subjects such as Philosophy, History, Economics, Sociology, Anthropology and Architecture confer this degree.
As the economy continues to evolve alongside technology, the need for individuals with specialised knowledge will increase over time. This means that individuals who possess bachelor’s degrees will find that they have access to more jobs than others. This need for specialised knowledge is especially evident in the fields of business, science, medicine and technology.
After earning a bachelor’s degree, students in the US frequently choose to enter the following careers.
- Psychology (licensed professional counsellor or social worker)
- Biology (medical researcher or conservation scientist)
- Journalism (editor or reporter)
- Accounting (certified public accountant or director of accounting)
Before choosing a bachelor’s programme, be sure to choose a school that fits your needs and plans. Enrol in a bachelor’s programme to improve your career prospects now.
Irvine, United States
- 110SchoolApply Rank
- USD 24,708Average Tuition
- 37.4%Acceptance Rate
The University of California - Irvine is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities with a campus in Irvine; a suburban area in California, U.S.A. Through its faculties, the university offers over 80 bachelor's degree programs. ...
Tempe, United States
- 179SchoolApply Rank
- USD 40,463Average Tuition
- 84%Acceptance Rate
The Arizona State University is the largest public university by enrollment in the U.S. ASU comprises 16 colleges and schools that offer more personalized experiences for students, while offering opportunities to collaborate across disciplines and campuses....
Greencastle, United States
- 185SchoolApply Rank
- USD 56,678Average Tuition
- 57%Acceptance Rate
DePauw University, established over 180 years ago, is a leading liberal arts College located in Greencastle in Indiana, USA. The institute offers a number of bachelor's degree programs through departments such as Communication & Theatre, Art & Art History, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Music and Religious Studies....
Harrisonburg, United States
- 202SchoolApply Rank
- USD 39,746Average Tuition
- 66%Acceptance Rate
James Madison University (JMU) is a public research university located in Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States. The university has academic schools through which it offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree programs. ...
Fairfield, United States
- 233SchoolApply Rank
- USD 61,275Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
Fairfield University is a modern Jesuit Catholic university located an hour from New York City, in coastal Connecticut, USA. The University offers a number of bachelor's degree programs through its schools of Business, Nursing & Health Studies, Engineering and Arts & Sciences....
Salt Lake City, United States
- 238SchoolApply Rank
- USD 21,296Average Tuition
- 81.7%Acceptance Rate
The University of Utah (the U) is a public institution located in Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A. The U offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs across its 17 academic colleges and schools....
McHenry, United States
- 242SchoolApply Rank
- USD 13,670Average Tuition
- 72.7%Acceptance Rate
The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) is a public research university in Chicago, Illinois, United States. The university offers a good number of bachelor’s degree programs through its 15 schools....
Spokane, United States
- 249SchoolApply Rank
- USD 53,415Average Tuition
- 68%Acceptance Rate
Gonzaga University (GU) is a leading private institution of higher learning, located in Spokane, Washington, United States and managed by the Jesuit missionary of the Catholic Church. Through its various faculties, the university offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs....
Tacoma, United States
- 260SchoolApply Rank
- USD 49,510Average Tuition
- 79%Acceptance Rate
The University of Puget Sound is a private located in the North End of Tacoma, Washington, in the United States. The University offers a variety of bachelor's degree programs....
Boston, United States
- 270SchoolApply Rank
- USD 52,644Average Tuition
- 84%Acceptance Rate
Suffolk University is a private, non-sectarian, non-profit research university located in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. The university offers bachelor’s degree programs through its academic schools....