Bachelor Degree in the USCreate Account
A bachelor’s is the degree most commonly granted by colleges and universities in the US. These degrees are usually given to students at the end of a three to five-year undergraduate period. A bachelor’s degree can be earned in a variety of studies, and many students choose to pursue graduate studies at the end of a programme. Depending on the academic institution, students are usually required to earn a certain number of credit hours prior to graduation.
What is a Bachelor’s degree in the US?
A bachelor’s degree in the US usually requires students to focus on a specific subject matter. In addition to this subject matter, courses covering the humanities and sciences (core classes) are usually required as well. Some institutions allow students to create their own programme of study depending on personal interests and preferences. Here are some of the most popular baccalaureate programmes in the US.
- Bachelor’s in Business Administration
- Bachelor’s in History
- Bachelor’s in English
- Bachelor’s in Psychology
- Bachelor’s in Accounting
- Bachelor’s in Biology
Luckily for students, colleges and universities in the US have some of the most highly rated academic programmes in the world. Some schools offer exceptional science and engineering programmes, while others focus on the arts and humanities. Many schools even offer students the opportunity to double-major and earn two bachelor’s degrees at the time of graduation. After earning a bachelor’s degree, students may choose to pursue a master’s or professional degree, or enter the workforce.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Bachelor Degree in the US?
Students who earn a bachelor’s degree will usually reap a number of benefits. Here are some of the most common benefits of higher education in the US.
- Higher Salaries – At the time of hire, individuals with college degrees will almost always be able to command higher salaries. This is because companies and organisations tend to place a strong value on specialised knowledge.
- More Career Prospects – When looking for employment, students with a degree will usually have an easier time finding work than those without a degree. The majority of careers now require some form of post-secondary education in the US.
- Promotion Opportunities – Students with degrees typically have an easier time getting promoted. Their wider knowledge base makes them valuable employees that cannot be easily replaced.
- Increased Job Satisfaction – College-educated students have access to better-paying jobs with fewer hours and less stress. They also enjoy higher levels of job security than individuals who do not have degrees.
Bachelor degrees provide students with the time management, organisational and critical thinking skills they need to excel. These skills are difficult to acquire without some form of higher education.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect With a Bachelor Degree in the US?
Depending on the field of study, students will be able to choose from a variety of exciting careers after earning a degree. Here is a list of some of the most common types of baccalaureate degrees in the US and the careers they offer.
- Bachelor of Science (BS) – This degree is conferred to students who major in the fields of science and engineering. It usually requires a more science-heavy curriculum, and fewer humanities courses. Students who major in Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Engineering and Mathematics, usually receive this degree at graduation.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) – Students majoring in the performing and creative arts are usually granted this bachelor’s degree. In order to earn a BFA, a student must major in Dance, Drama, Film Studies, Creative Writing or Visual Arts.
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) – This is the most common type of bachelor’s degree, and it is awarded to students who major in the humanities and social sciences. Subjects such as Philosophy, History, Economics, Sociology, Anthropology and Architecture confer this degree.
As the economy continues to evolve alongside technology, the need for individuals with specialised knowledge will increase over time. This means that individuals who possess bachelor’s degrees will find that they have access to more jobs than others. This need for specialised knowledge is especially evident in the fields of business, science, medicine and technology.
After earning a bachelor’s degree, students in the US frequently choose to enter the following careers.
- Psychology (licensed professional counsellor or social worker)
- Biology (medical researcher or conservation scientist)
- Journalism (editor or reporter)
- Accounting (certified public accountant or director of accounting)
Before choosing a bachelor’s programme, be sure to choose a school that fits your needs and plans. Enrol in a bachelor’s programme to improve your career prospects now.
Tacoma, United States
- 239SchoolApply Rank
- USD 49,510Average Tuition
- 84%Acceptance Rate
The University of Puget Sound is a private located in the North End of Tacoma, Washington, in the United States. The University offers a variety of bachelor's degree programs....
New York, United States
- 243SchoolApply Rank
- USD 44,714Average Tuition
- 80%Acceptance Rate
Pace University (Pace) is a private institution located in New York, USA. Pace has two campuses across USA, with the main campus in New York city and another campus in Westchester. Pace offers bachelor's degree programs through its five academic colleges namely, College of Health Professions; Dyson College of Arts and Sciences; Lubin School of Business; School of Education; and Seidenberg School of CSIS. ...
Chicago, United States
- 245SchoolApply Rank
- USD 39,369Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
DePaul University is a private Catholic institute of higher education located in Chicago, Illinois, United States. DePaul University offers more than 130 majors at the undergraduate degree level in disciplines including Management, Computer Science, Hospitality, Engineering and more. DePaul University is licensed by the Higher Learning Commission(HLC) to award bachelor's degree programmes....
Pittsburgh, United States
- 252SchoolApply Rank
- USD 38,178Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
Duquesne University is a private non-profit university situated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. Through its nine schools, Duquesne offers a wide variety of Bachelor's degree programs....
Chester, United States
- 265SchoolApply Rank
- USD 45,028Average Tuition
- 65%Acceptance Rate
Widener University (Widener) is a private institution with campuses in Pennsylvania and one in Delaware, USA. The university offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs through its five academic schools namely, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Engineering, Human Service Professions, and Nursing....
Nashville, United States
- 266SchoolApply Rank
- USD 29,676Average Tuition
- 60%Acceptance Rate
Lipscomb University is a private Christian University located in the Green Hills area of Nashville in Tennessee, USA. The University offers a number of bachelor's degree programs in the disciplines of Music, Education, Liberal Arts, Business, Health Sciences and Engineering....
Kirksville, United States
- 272SchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,277Average Tuition
- 67%Acceptance Rate
Truman State University (Truman) is a public university located in the city of Kirksville in Missouri, United States. Truman offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree programs through 5 academic schools, namely: the School of Arts and Letters; School of Health Sciences and Education; School of Science and Mathematics; School of Social and Cultural Studies; and the School of Business....
Garden City, United States
- 303SchoolApply Rank
- USD 36,920Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Adelphi University is a private, coeducational institution of higher learning located in Garden City, New York, United States and has a dedicated faculty through which it offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs. ...
Ypsilanti, United States
- 316SchoolApply Rank
- USD 29,775Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Eastern Michigan University (EMU) is a learning and research institute in Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA. Students can choose from over 200 bachelor’s degree programs at EMU....
Macon, United States
- 351SchoolApply Rank
- USD 36,892Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Mercer, founded in 1833, is a private university. Its 150-acre campus is located in Macon, 85 miles south of Atlanta. It offers undergraduate, graduate and special programs. With over 8,500 students enrolled at its campuses, Mercer consistently ranks among the nation's leading institutions....