Bachelor’s DegreeCreate Account
A bachelor’s degree, also known as a baccalaureate degree, is a post-secondary undergraduate degree that is required for most professional careers. It usually takes four years of full-time education to earn a bachelor’s degree. During those years, students typically complete about 40 college courses, the equivalent of 120-semester credits. Colleges using a quarter system require a minimum of 180 quarter credits for an accredited bachelor’s degree. Earning a bachelor’s degree may prepare students for more promising careers across a diverse array of industries. In most cases, you cannot attend a professional graduate school unless you earn a bachelor’s degree.
What is a Bachelor’s Degree?
Undergraduate courses differ depending on the specialisation of the program, but the focus is typically more on exploring the liberal arts than on concentration courses. Many institutions grant more freedom to customise study plans for fulfilling students’ particular career aspirations and goals. The most common baccalaureate majors include Education, English, Business, Communications, Psychology and Accounting. Other majors include:
- Bachelor’s in International Studies
- Bachelor’s in History
- Bachelor’s in Philosophy
- Bachelor’s in Anthropology
- Bachelor’s in Sociology
- Bachelor’s in Physics
- Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice
Depending on the career plans of future graduates, studying abroad may be necessary because some degrees and courses are only offered through international studies. Also, some international schools are better equipped to offer programs in areas that are more popular in select areas of the world. For instance, manufacturing and agriculture are cornerstones of China’s export industries and Germany has an indisputable grasp on telecommunications and information technology. Attending a school abroad may be an ideal approach for obtaining a balanced view of different regions of the world.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Bachelor’s Degree?
There are many advantages to having a college education. A few of the top reasons for individuals to consider enrolling in a bachelor’s degree program include:
- Improves employment prospects – many career paths require a bachelor’s degree as a minimum education requirement.
- Meets graduate school prerequisites if you decide to pursue an advanced degree.
- College graduates are more satisfied with their jobs because the pay is better, the benefits are better, and there are more opportunities for advancement.
- Expands network of professional relationships. Study at the American college Dublin.
Many professional careers require a college degree, and others require education beyond a bachelor's degree. Some occupations require a professional certification or license to practice.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect with a Bachelor’s Degree?
A college education can be the solution to a more promising career, and earning a bachelor’s degree continues to be the standard for entry into many professional careers. It demonstrates that students have a general college education with a focus on a particular subject. The three most popular types of bachelor degree are:
- Bachelor of Arts (BA degree): A BA degree focuses more on exploring the liberal arts than on specific concentration courses. Students have more freedom to customise their education and fulfill their career objectives and goals. Common specialisations include Music, English, Theatre, Art, Modern Languages, and Communications.
- Bachelor of Science (BS degree): The BS degree targets a particular specialisation and tends to be career-focused. Traditional BS programs include Biology, Nursing, Business, Computer Science, Economics and Chemical Engineering.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA degree): The BFA is a professional or vocational degree. The goal of a BFA program is for graduates to attain professional careers in the world of creative arts. This includes sculptors, actors, painters, singers, and dancers. The tendency is focusing on a specialisation rather than on general studies.
Many employers now require a bachelor's degree because jobs are becoming more sophisticated, technology-driven and scientific. For instance, many drafting jobs now require education that more closely parallels junior engineers with a college education than technicians without a degree. Likewise, hospitals are increasingly employing registered nurses with a bachelor’s degree because the role of nursing and the healthcare industry are becoming more complex. The trend is expected to continue.
A degree at the bachelor’s level is available in wide range of academic fields. Careers in a variety of fields are available for students earning a bachelor's degree in industries such as:
- Journalism (video producers and SEO writers)
- Fitness (physical therapy aides and trainers)
- Oceanography (research scientists and conservationists)
- Cloud architecture (cloud infrastructure managers)
Diverse Bachelor’s degree programs exist worldwide for example the Canadian university Dubai. Choose your focus and begin exploring your possibilities now.
Tucson, United States
- 175SchoolApply Rank
- USD 34,290Average Tuition
- 84%Acceptance Rate
The University of Arizona is the leading public research university in the American Southwest. UofA give students a real-world experience in their area of study to better prepare them for the workforce. The university has well-regarded programs in the physical sciences and health....
McHenry, United States
- 210SchoolApply Rank
- USD 23,440Average Tuition
- 77%Acceptance Rate
The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) is a public research university in Chicago, Illinois, United States. The university offers a good number of bachelor’s degree programs through its 15 schools....
Tacoma, United States
- 239SchoolApply Rank
- USD 49,510Average Tuition
- 84%Acceptance Rate
The University of Puget Sound is a private located in the North End of Tacoma, Washington, in the United States. The University offers a variety of bachelor's degree programs....
New York, United States
- 243SchoolApply Rank
- USD 44,714Average Tuition
- 80%Acceptance Rate
Pace University (Pace) is a private institution located in New York, USA. Pace has two campuses across USA, with the main campus in New York city and another campus in Westchester. Pace offers bachelor's degree programs through its five academic colleges namely, College of Health Professions; Dyson College of Arts and Sciences; Lubin School of Business; School of Education; and Seidenberg School of CSIS. ...
Chicago, United States
- 245SchoolApply Rank
- USD 39,369Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
DePaul University is a private Catholic institute of higher education located in Chicago, Illinois, United States. DePaul University offers more than 130 majors at the undergraduate degree level in disciplines including Management, Computer Science, Hospitality, Engineering and more. DePaul University is licensed by the Higher Learning Commission(HLC) to award bachelor's degree programmes....
Pittsburgh, United States
- 252SchoolApply Rank
- USD 38,178Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
Duquesne University is a private non-profit university situated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. Through its nine schools, Duquesne offers a wide variety of Bachelor's degree programs....
Chester, United States
- 265SchoolApply Rank
- USD 45,028Average Tuition
- 65%Acceptance Rate
Widener University (Widener) is a private institution with campuses in Pennsylvania and one in Delaware, USA. The university offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs through its five academic schools namely, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Engineering, Human Service Professions, and Nursing....
Nashville, United States
- 266SchoolApply Rank
- USD 29,676Average Tuition
- 60%Acceptance Rate
Lipscomb University is a private Christian University located in the Green Hills area of Nashville in Tennessee, USA. The University offers a number of bachelor's degree programs in the disciplines of Music, Education, Liberal Arts, Business, Health Sciences and Engineering....
Kirksville, United States
- 272SchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,277Average Tuition
- 67%Acceptance Rate
Truman State University (Truman) is a public university located in the city of Kirksville in Missouri, United States. Truman offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree programs through 5 academic schools, namely: the School of Arts and Letters; School of Health Sciences and Education; School of Science and Mathematics; School of Social and Cultural Studies; and the School of Business....
Tampa, United States
- 287SchoolApply Rank
- USD 17,250Average Tuition
- 44%Acceptance Rate
The University of South Florida (USF) is a public research university located in Tampa, Florida, United States. The university offers a good number of bachelor’s degree programs through its academic schools....