Bachelor’s DegreeCreate Account
A bachelor’s degree, also known as a baccalaureate degree, is a post-secondary undergraduate degree that is required for most professional careers. It usually takes four years of full-time education to earn a bachelor’s degree. During those years, students typically complete about 40 college courses, the equivalent of 120-semester credits. Colleges using a quarter system require a minimum of 180 quarter credits for an accredited bachelor’s degree. Earning a bachelor’s degree may prepare students for more promising careers across a diverse array of industries. In most cases, you cannot attend a professional graduate school unless you earn a bachelor’s degree.
What is a Bachelor’s Degree?
Undergraduate courses differ depending on the specialisation of the program, but the focus is typically more on exploring the liberal arts than on concentration courses. Many institutions grant more freedom to customise study plans for fulfilling students’ particular career aspirations and goals. The most common baccalaureate majors include Education, English, Business, Communications, Psychology and Accounting. Other majors include:
- Bachelor’s in International Studies
- Bachelor’s in History
- Bachelor’s in Philosophy
- Bachelor’s in Anthropology
- Bachelor’s in Sociology
- Bachelor’s in Physics
- Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice
Depending on the career plans of future graduates, studying abroad may be necessary because some degrees and courses are only offered through international studies. Also, some international schools are better equipped to offer programs in areas that are more popular in select areas of the world. For instance, manufacturing and agriculture are cornerstones of China’s export industries and Germany has an indisputable grasp on telecommunications and information technology. Attending a school abroad may be an ideal approach for obtaining a balanced view of different regions of the world.
What Are the Benefits of Getting a Bachelor’s Degree?
There are many advantages to having a college education. A few of the top reasons for individuals to consider enrolling in a bachelor’s degree program include:
- Improves employment prospects – many career paths require a bachelor’s degree as a minimum education requirement.
- Meets graduate school prerequisites if you decide to pursue an advanced degree.
- College graduates are more satisfied with their jobs because the pay is better, the benefits are better, and there are more opportunities for advancement.
- Expands network of professional relationships. Study at the American college Dublin.
Many professional careers require a college degree, and others require education beyond a bachelor's degree. Some occupations require a professional certification or license to practice.
What Kind of Career Can You Expect with a Bachelor’s Degree?
A college education can be the solution to a more promising career, and earning a bachelor’s degree continues to be the standard for entry into many professional careers. It demonstrates that students have a general college education with a focus on a particular subject. The three most popular types of bachelor degree are:
- Bachelor of Arts (BA degree): A BA degree focuses more on exploring the liberal arts than on specific concentration courses. Students have more freedom to customise their education and fulfill their career objectives and goals. Common specialisations include Music, English, Theatre, Art, Modern Languages, and Communications.
- Bachelor of Science (BS degree): The BS degree targets a particular specialisation and tends to be career-focused. Traditional BS programs include Biology, Nursing, Business, Computer Science, Economics and Chemical Engineering.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA degree): The BFA is a professional or vocational degree. The goal of a BFA program is for graduates to attain professional careers in the world of creative arts. This includes sculptors, actors, painters, singers, and dancers. The tendency is focusing on a specialisation rather than on general studies.
Many employers now require a bachelor's degree because jobs are becoming more sophisticated, technology-driven and scientific. For instance, many drafting jobs now require education that more closely parallels junior engineers with a college education than technicians without a degree. Likewise, hospitals are increasingly employing registered nurses with a bachelor’s degree because the role of nursing and the healthcare industry are becoming more complex. The trend is expected to continue.
A degree at the bachelor’s level is available in wide range of academic fields. Careers in a variety of fields are available for students earning a bachelor's degree in industries such as:
- Journalism (video producers and SEO writers)
- Fitness (physical therapy aides and trainers)
- Oceanography (research scientists and conservationists)
- Cloud architecture (cloud infrastructure managers)
Diverse Bachelor’s degree programs exist worldwide for example the Canadian university Dubai. Choose your focus and begin exploring your possibilities now.
Tacoma, United States
- 239SchoolApply Rank
- USD 49,510Average Tuition
- 84%Acceptance Rate
The University of Puget Sound is a private located in the North End of Tacoma, Washington, in the United States. The University offers a variety of bachelor's degree programs....
New York, United States
- 243SchoolApply Rank
- USD 44,714Average Tuition
- 80%Acceptance Rate
Pace University (Pace) is a private institution located in New York, USA. Pace has two campuses across USA, with the main campus in New York city and another campus in Westchester. Pace offers bachelor's degree programs through its five academic colleges namely, College of Health Professions; Dyson College of Arts and Sciences; Lubin School of Business; School of Education; and Seidenberg School of CSIS. ...
Chicago, United States
- 245SchoolApply Rank
- USD 39,369Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
DePaul University is a private Catholic institute of higher education located in Chicago, Illinois, United States. DePaul University offers more than 130 majors at the undergraduate degree level in disciplines including Management, Computer Science, Hospitality, Engineering and more. DePaul University is licensed by the Higher Learning Commission(HLC) to award bachelor's degree programmes....
Pittsburgh, United States
- 252SchoolApply Rank
- USD 38,178Average Tuition
- 72%Acceptance Rate
Duquesne University is a private non-profit university situated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. Through its nine schools, Duquesne offers a wide variety of Bachelor's degree programs....
Kirksville, United States
- 272SchoolApply Rank
- USD 14,277Average Tuition
- 67%Acceptance Rate
Truman State University (Truman) is a public university located in the city of Kirksville in Missouri, United States. Truman offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree programs through 5 academic schools, namely: the School of Arts and Letters; School of Health Sciences and Education; School of Science and Mathematics; School of Social and Cultural Studies; and the School of Business....
Ypsilanti, United States
- 316SchoolApply Rank
- USD 29,775Average Tuition
- 73%Acceptance Rate
Eastern Michigan University (EMU) is a learning and research institute in Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA. Students can choose from over 200 bachelor’s degree programs at EMU....
Bellingham, United States
- 360SchoolApply Rank
- USD 22,450Average Tuition
- 85%Acceptance Rate
Western Washington University (WWU) is a public institution located in Bellingham, Washington. WWU offers a wide range of bachelor's degree programs through its seven colleges namely: College of Business and Economics, Fine and Performing Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Science and Engineering; Fairhaven College of Interdisciplinary Studies; Huxley College of the Environment; and Woodring College of Education....
La Verne, United States
- 380SchoolApply Rank
- USD 41,940Average Tuition
- 48%Acceptance Rate
University of La Verne (ULV) is a private university located in La Verne, California, United State. Through its various colleges, the university offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree programs....
Redlands, United States
- 423SchoolApply Rank
- USD 50,630Average Tuition
University of Redlands is located in Redlands, California in the US. The university offers more than 40 programs of study, giving students access to a broad-based interdisciplinary liberal arts education....
Brookings, United States
- 470SchoolApply Rank
- USD 10,830Average Tuition
- 91%Acceptance Rate
South Dakota State University (SDSU), located in Brookings United States, offers bachelor's, master's and PhD degrees through its colleges of Agriculture, Food & Environmental Sciences; Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences; Education & Human Sciences; Natural Sciences; Nursing; Pharmacy & Allied Health Professions; Jerome J. Lohr College of Engineering; and Van D. & Barbara B. Fishback Honors College....